Tow hook bolts

• Thread starter Deleted member 12951
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

Can someone tell me if the bolts/nuts that hold on the front tow hooks the same that hold the front skid plate? And if not, what are they?

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They are different. The tow hook bolt is bigger. See below. The left bolt is the skid plate bolt and the right bolt is for the tow hook. I measured the tow hook bolt with a tap & die set and it comes out to me 12mm - 1.75. Both do take a 15mm socket and that's the only similarity they share.

I assume you are rigging something up for your bumper to use the factory tow hooks?

Anyway, I hope this helps.

skid_plate_bolt.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

Yes. Was planning on relocating the tow hooks further under the frame since I will have to cut the frame horns. I could just re-use the nuts but would rather get another set to spot weld the nut to the frame since it will be covered up with the new replacement bumper.

So more interested in the nut size, 12mm?

Last edited by a moderator:

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I apologize the nut size is 12mm. Basically I took my bolt and measured it with a few nuts from my tap and die set. Only the 12mm would thread onto the bolt.

BTW, when you remove your bumper you will see that the frame horns are hollow and the 2 nuts inside the frame horns are not welded to the frame but sit on a piece of metal. So just reuse them since they are already spaced out accordingly. See pics below. I took these pics when I was installing my RPG Pre-Runner . BTW, of course you will have to drill 2 holes into your frame if you are planning to use the factory tow hooks because you are relocating them further into the frame . I hope this makes sense.

tow_hook_nut1.jpg

tow_hook_nut2.jpg

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

Awesome! Makes perfect sense. I did not know they had that bar across the nuts. That will work out even better. Thanks very much for the pics. Installing my SVC Baja bumper tomorrow night.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Happy to help. I always take a few pics when I am doing installs just for reasons like this as it may make someone else's install easier. ;)

Note the blue painters tape. Because the nuts are not welded down and thus can move I use the tape to keep it from moving. Once you mount your bumper, you will cover up your frame horns and if the bolts were to move now you would have no way of getting them aligned. So I would drill your new holes (2). Place the stock nuts inside the fame and tape them down. For extra precaution, then take the tow hook bolts and go ahead and thread them to secure them even more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

Did you relocate your hooks?
Wait the pre-runner, you can still just use the tow hooks in the same location with that one or did you just remove them completely?

Last edited by a moderator:

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There's no cutting with the Pre_Runner so the factory tow hook locations are intact. The Pre-Runner allows you to either use the factory tow hooks or not. I decided to use them as there's no tow point in the front without them.

Did you relocate your hooks?
Wait the pre-runner, you can still just use the tow hooks in the same location with that one or did you just remove them completely?

SVT_4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I did when I cut my frame off for the custom bumper is basically what you are talking about. I moved them back and used the factory nuts that were on the metal plate. I set the plate in and once you install one bolt you can sort of line it up for the other.

VrisFO8mIN77DmgR6ZUYdrJNboOF5L209Esw=w1204-h903-no.jpg
frame%2B2.jpg

As I recall I think these other holes were already in the frame, maybe for the bracket that dropped down for the old skid plate. I am pretty happy how it turned out and works much better than stock on the sand hills.

ZoAPPnz7XKT5lXZshg9aPkJzFXyPTqEmUdVM=w1204-h903-no.jpg