Torque sticks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As already mentioned, they are designed for pneumatic tools. Even then the performance varies due to many variables unique to your set up. They are primarily intended to help one avoid over torqueing vs torque setting.

R,
HAP

dkfc13

HPA Systems LLC.
Reaction score
My thoughts regarding torque sticks:

1. Not all are the same, they are a number of manufactures who make them.
2. Most of the kits I've seen don't have a 150 ft.lb stick. Our lug nut requirement is 150 not 140.
3. They can't prevent under tightening unfortunately. I have had good success with them preventing over tightening.
4. A torque wrench can be just as inaccurate. Especially when it bounces around in our trucks. When was the last time you had your torque wrench calibrated?
5. A torque stick will only be a good as the the air system powering it. Many impact wrenches require a significant amount of airflow to achieve their rated torque value. That rated torque value is reduced significantly when that airflow isn't achieved. Just because your impact wrench is rated to 250 ft.lb + doesn't mean it will do the job.
6. Max torque and nominal ( sustainable) torque can be very different. You need much more available torque than the stick you are using.

So how do you determine if you equipment works? By testing.

Unfortunately, most torque wrench companies do not provide you a range of torque data to allow you to correlate the right information to your airflow and pressure. You also need expensive equipment to check pressure drop in your airlines.

My suggestion would be to calibrate and test whatever system you are using.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

CFIT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do tire shops verify lug nut torque, if at all? I’ve never anyone at a tire shop pull out a torque wrench. I’ve only ever seen them use a pneumatic impact wrench. Do they somehow calibrate their setup to some universal torque value? Are they wingin’ it and counting “ugger duggers”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two Dogs

Reaction score
How do tire shops verify lug nut torque, if at all? I’ve never anyone at a tire shop pull out a torque wrench. I’ve only ever seen them use a pneumatic impact wrench. Do they somehow calibrate their setup to some universal torque value? Are they wingin’ it and counting “ugger duggers”?

Most use the "Not my car" method.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Torque sticks are valuable in a commercial shop where throughput means money. They're fast. Accuracy is a lesser concern when it ain't your truck.

My torque wrench works just fine.

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Discount Tire here uses a torque wrench after the impact gun is used.

Sent from my PC using Hit-a-key.

E_Net_Rider

Reaction score
Can any of you show me where torque stick has become approved by ASE or ASME or such? A few years back that was easily findable but with google, etc. more interested in selling product finding that article saying "NO" has become difficult if not impossible. I just attempted a multiple engine and this thread popped. No where was I able to find a "torque stick" approved. The original article went into depth why they should not be used and inaccurate was near top of list.
You may think you are only torqueing wheel nuts but it goes way beyond with todays engineering. It is no longer just breaking a wheel bolt or uneven/over torque ruining your brake rotors after a little distance. You may as well be working with a conventional spindle holding tapered bearings and race. Over torque and see how that does.
It was the mechanical shops friend, the impact wrench. Go in for a simple tire rotation and a thousand miles give or take some you would end up with warped rotors and drums. The common excuse was, "you must of drove through water when they were hot". They now sold you a brake service when it was actually the shops fault or the impact wrench. Some vehicles are more sensitive to it, that is they could get away with such abuse more easily with trucks usually requiring over 100 lb.ft. where cars where nearly always less, significantly.
And todays vehicles being designed lighter with thinner metal it is easier to abuse.
Example. one tire repaired and grease monkey uses impact wrench. In a couple of thousand miles the warped rotor on FWD starts to show. I'm patient, call them and take care next time. They put on new rotor. and properly torque. In a few thousand miles it starts again. They inspect and it temporarily stopped for a short time. Hard to get resolution. Eventually it showed the ugly face. That ape torqued to the point it warped the hub and caused early failure of wheel bearing.

One sight showed its confidence by saying only use torque stick of 2/3 proper value and finish with hand torque!
If it goes in the shop now the camera allows watching.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Over torqueing lug nuts doesn't ruin the rotors whatsoever. Maybe 30 years ago, but lugs haven't been anchored into the rotor for decades. All you are doing now is squeezing the hat tighter between the wheel and hub face, which does exactly nothing to the rotor.