Torn '14 SE vs '17

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

Having the same truck as you, I am always thinking of the next one. Hence why I am keeping all my stock parts. Usually trade every 3 years but plan on keeping this baby for 5 years at least (I say this now). Will definitely be looking at the new model but I have no regrets on my 14' and super glad I bought it.

O2ShootTheJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! Haha, that is impressive @BLACKMAMBA777 on the trading up! In your case, I'd definitely say to hold back on the mods. I've done a decent bit of things because I can't see myself getting the new model until I give it a few years to see how the new motor is holding up. I really like the 6.2L and I even have suspicions that this new motor will not live up to the hype. An example that helps me is this: my brother bought a 2000 Super Duty with the 7.3L power stroke diesel. He loved it but was tempted when they released a smaller but "just as good" and "just as powerful" diesel motor (I think it was a 6.0L). It was hyped up to be so great and better mileage and all that good stuff. My brother was tempted but decided to give it some time to see how this new "great" motor held up. Turns out people had major issues with it. Ford ended up coming out with a 6.4L diesel now and it was built in house and guaranteed to be "amazing". We've had friends also have many problems with this motor too. Moral of the story...it's not always that the latest and greatest is the best! Patience is a great asset. As I see it, us with the 6.2L in our current raptors are sitting pretty. We can sit back and see what plays out. Maybe the new motor is amazing...but I for one am giving it a few years to see how it holds up in the real world!

ehhh I get what you're saying, and I agree, but the facts are a little off. The 6.0 was a giant piece of crap though, you got that right LOL

6.4 was produced by navistar. Did have issues due to being first generation of diesels with EPA mandated DPF's. The 6.4 also put ford on top of the aftermarket performance game though. $2,000 on top of a stock 6.4 got you 550+ whp and 1100+ wtq. Plenty of 1,000hp + 6.4's running around and a couple of 2,000.

The 6.7 is the current model from ford which was made in house. Had a few issues early on but overall has been a fairly reliable engine in stock form. Once you take them above 500 hp they like to eat rods though. 2015's got a big update with a different turbo and new tq converter which makes them even better.

As for the OP - you're going to lose money either way. might as well keep the '14 for atleast another year and then sell it if you still really want a '17. Personally I haven't heard such great things about the eco-boost engines and not sure I'd want one in a high performance truck

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ehhh I get what you're saying, and I agree
Thanks man. I am not an expert by any means in the super duty's. All in all, my point is that it's not always the next best thing is always "best". Even if you want to just leave it at the 7.3L to the 6.0L if that makes it better. Can't jump on the "next best thing" assuming it's definitely going to be better than the last.

CAraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am superchargin a 14 with the 6.4. no v6 turbo will touch it. make me feel better a new model coming out.

Cj428

Reaction score
I've customized my 12 so much it wouldn't make any sense to let it go. it still draws the most attention of any other truck out there anyway plus will outrun and out handle all of them to. The 17 will be more refined but not the beast we have now.

Fivenines

Reaction score
My truck is a work truck and is 100% off road, other than running to the nearest airport at shift change. For me I am leery of the complexity and heat issues associated with a twin turbo engine that will see constant duty in a wide variety of conditions and I am especially concerned about this new engine in mud, where heat can be a greater issue. Other than the "Ford Clunk" (which I HATE!) I love my 2013 SCrew and its 6.2 V8 and I would not look at the new version until it has a couple years under it's belt. Keep the 2014...my .02. Good Luck!