Torn '14 SE vs '17

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BLACKMAMBA777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm sure there are others thinking about this, maybe. I want to do a couple of things to my '14 SE but am torn between keeping it or going for the new one at the end of next year.

I just want some feedback, anyone else fighting with this? (First world problem I know)

If so, what did you decide? Even if you haven't, all feedback is welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThomasL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm sure there are others thinking about this, maybe. I want to do a couple of things to my '14 SE but am torn between keeping it or going for the new one at the end of next year.

I just want some feedback, anyone else fighting with this? (First world problem I know)

If so, what did you decide? Even if you haven't, all feedback is welcome.

I jumped on a '12 a month ago and have no regrets at all. I'm already modding it and enjoying every minute of it. I figured if i like the '17 or '18 enough up close in a couple years, i'll just trade in the '12. But for now, i'm enjoying the 6.2 very much.

ThomasL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know what the 17 or 18 will have ? So your asking get something where I know all the facts or wait for something that even Ford has not said what it will be or when?

They've released pretty much all details on the '17 i thought? The TT Ecoboost V6 right?

OP
OP
BLACKMAMBA777

BLACKMAMBA777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know what the 17 or 18 will have ? So your asking get something where I know all the facts or wait for something that even Ford has not said what it will be or when?

I already have a '14 SE Ruby Red love it. Just not looking forward to dropping 10k and then getting the new one and losing that when/if I get the new one. There are a ton of articles about it due to the auto show releases.

The reason I ask is cause I did that on my last raptor, had a '13 and dropped that much in it, traded it for this one I have now. Traded a tux black '12 for the '13 and its upgrades. Hence the questions. Yes I have a problem.

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! Haha, that is impressive @BLACKMAMBA777 on the trading up! In your case, I'd definitely say to hold back on the mods. I've done a decent bit of things because I can't see myself getting the new model until I give it a few years to see how the new motor is holding up. I really like the 6.2L and I even have suspicions that this new motor will not live up to the hype. An example that helps me is this: my brother bought a 2000 Super Duty with the 7.3L power stroke diesel. He loved it but was tempted when they released a smaller but "just as good" and "just as powerful" diesel motor (I think it was a 6.0L). It was hyped up to be so great and better mileage and all that good stuff. My brother was tempted but decided to give it some time to see how this new "great" motor held up. Turns out people had major issues with it. Ford ended up coming out with a 6.4L diesel now and it was built in house and guaranteed to be "amazing". We've had friends also have many problems with this motor too. Moral of the story...it's not always that the latest and greatest is the best! Patience is a great asset. As I see it, us with the 6.2L in our current raptors are sitting pretty. We can sit back and see what plays out. Maybe the new motor is amazing...but I for one am giving it a few years to see how it holds up in the real world!

Last edited:
OP
OP
BLACKMAMBA777

BLACKMAMBA777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! Haha, that is impressive @BLACKMAMBA777 on the trading up! In your case, I'd definitely say to hold back on the mods. I've done a decent bit of things because I can't see myself getting the new model until I give it a few years to see how the new motor is holding up. I really like the 6.2L and I even have suspicions that this new motor will not live up to the hype. An example that helps me is this: my brother bought a 2000 Super Duty with the 7.3L power stroke diesel. He loved it but was tempted when they released a smaller but "just as good" and "just as powerful" diesel motor (I think it was a 6.0L). It was hyped up to be so great and better mileage and all that good stuff. My brother was tempted but decided to give it some time to see how this new "great" motor held up. Turns out people had major issues with it. Ford ended up coming out with a 6.4L diesel now and it was built in house and guaranteed to be "amazing". We've had friends also have many problems with this motor too. Moral of the story...it's not always that the latest and greatest is the best! Patience is a great asset. As I see it, us with the 6.2L in our current raptors are sitting pretty. We can sit back and see what plays out. Maybe the new motor is amazing...but I for one am giving it a few years to see how it holds up in the real world!

Makes a ton of sense. Thanks man!

wanderfalk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never buy the first year of a new model. The best reason to purchase the new model is the suspension looks to be a lot better. That will hurt the aftermarket vendors.

OP
OP
BLACKMAMBA777

BLACKMAMBA777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never buy the first year of a new model. The best reason to purchase the new model is the suspension looks to be a lot better. That will hurt the aftermarket vendors.

Yeah a lot of my buddies have mentioned the infamous kinks of the first year models. I thought the same thing about the suspension and weight. I'm not anti Eco, but I love the 6.2.