Tire Chains on Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mikerider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Mike, so you run the same chains as me. Are those 35x12.5 tires? Any issues with rubbing when using on the front?

If no issues, im ordering another set for the front...

--John

John, I'm running them on 315/70r17 on the raptor. They clear just fine up front and have not torn up the fenders or mud flaps but I never use them over 5-10 mph. And take them off as soon as I am clear of any slick situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ratpatator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run these with my 37s. I've got the truck raised about 3.5 in tho with fiberwerx +2 fenders. Only rub when I flex and turn at the same time. Definitely nice to have on the ROW. Some companies require them before you enter their property when conditions are bad. These ones even have the ice cleats.

Attachments

• IMG_20161220_160422001.jpg
    IMG_20161220_160422001.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 104

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just wanted to tell everyone, you *CAN* run tire chains on the raptor, with the stock or 35" tires.

Im running General Red Label 35x12.5x17's. I went here:

35-12.5-17 Tire Chains

And bought the ONORM DIAMOND chains.

They are lower profile than the "normal" heavy truck chains I ran on my previous trucks. Also, they go on faster than any chains ive ever used, have the coolest tensioner system ive seen, and are basically perfect for a light-duty chain. I wish the heaver chains used a similar system!

Used them last night on the rear, no rubbing. Slow speed high-suspension articulation stuff, and 30MPH road. No rubbing at all. If you have never used chains its an unbelievable difference. Fought tp get up this hill probably 10 times with a running start...no luck. Chained up and went up in 4L at 3mph like it was a joke. I love chains! Its comparable to the difference between 2 and 4 wheel drive.

Im still a little leery to run them on the front, but I would do it in a pinch at a slow speed if necessary.

For anyone that says "You don't need chains"....you haven't been in the Colorado Mountains. Once the trails get packed a bit then turn to ice, your not going anywhere. Several times my friend and I have gone up a hill, lost headway, and slid down backwards, unable to stop. On the east cost you don't see this as much, but out west....yea.

Why you need to ALWAYS carry them in the winter:
There are also many trails here that are shelf roads, not much wider than the truck, such as Switzerland trail in Boulder. Going off the edge is roughly a 1000' drop, sure death. I made the mistake of doing this trail once last year, and will never do it again if there is any snow/ice on it. The traction was one those if your going 3 mph and hit the brakes you slide 10'. Once I was on the trail i was commited. There was no way to turn around. Backing up would just slide you towards the edge. With the narrow trail tilted to the edge of the 1000' drop, its serious stuff. Made it through but defiantly slid a few times towards that edge. Kept my seat belt off and my hand on the drivers door, i was ready to jump if i got near that edge. After that day, decided to never go 4 wheeling anywhere in the winter without chains.

Chain Tips:
The chains have to be tight or else bad things happen. On my old F350 I had year ago, I had a chain come lose and remove a portion of the fender for me. Not cool.

Heres how I do it.

1. Put the chains on, just get them on, dont worry about getting them super tight.

2. Drive slowly about 20'. Stop. Go out and tighten the chains. They will be super loose. If your trying to get up somthing, they are tight enough now to do it, just dont spin the wheels excessively.

3. Drive a mile or so, and do a final tightening. Make sure everything is good.

4. If your like me, I stop a third time to tighten just to get them super tight. Its better than a whipping chain taking out your fender!

--John

Anyone taking on the trails around here in the winter either has a incredibly large set of stones or is crazy. I was just telling Witchy about this the other day is in on the road right now moving to Boulder. We live up in the foothills and driving on snow is one thing and driving on ice in another. I've had a couple close calls and one of our neighbors went off hill last month...thankfully a tree caught him or it would have been bad. I don't even drive the Raptor when the weather is bad anymore. We bought a Subaru that works really well.