Tire Chains on Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johndjmix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to tell everyone, you *CAN* run tire chains on the raptor, with the stock or 35" tires.

Im running General Red Label 35x12.5x17's. I went here:

35-12.5-17 Tire Chains

And bought the ONORM DIAMOND chains.

They are lower profile than the "normal" heavy truck chains I ran on my previous trucks. Also, they go on faster than any chains ive ever used, have the coolest tensioner system ive seen, and are basically perfect for a light-duty chain. I wish the heaver chains used a similar system!

Used them last night on the rear, no rubbing. Slow speed high-suspension articulation stuff, and 30MPH road. No rubbing at all. If you have never used chains its an unbelievable difference. Fought tp get up this hill probably 10 times with a running start...no luck. Chained up and went up in 4L at 3mph like it was a joke. I love chains! Its comparable to the difference between 2 and 4 wheel drive.

Im still a little leery to run them on the front, but I would do it in a pinch at a slow speed if necessary.

For anyone that says "You don't need chains"....you haven't been in the Colorado Mountains. Once the trails get packed a bit then turn to ice, your not going anywhere. Several times my friend and I have gone up a hill, lost headway, and slid down backwards, unable to stop. On the east cost you don't see this as much, but out west....yea.

Why you need to ALWAYS carry them in the winter:
There are also many trails here that are shelf roads, not much wider than the truck, such as Switzerland trail in Boulder. Going off the edge is roughly a 1000' drop, sure death. I made the mistake of doing this trail once last year, and will never do it again if there is any snow/ice on it. The traction was one those if your going 3 mph and hit the brakes you slide 10'. Once I was on the trail i was commited. There was no way to turn around. Backing up would just slide you towards the edge. With the narrow trail tilted to the edge of the 1000' drop, its serious stuff. Made it through but defiantly slid a few times towards that edge. Kept my seat belt off and my hand on the drivers door, i was ready to jump if i got near that edge. After that day, decided to never go 4 wheeling anywhere in the winter without chains.

Chain Tips:
The chains have to be tight or else bad things happen. On my old F350 I had year ago, I had a chain come lose and remove a portion of the fender for me. Not cool.

Heres how I do it.

1. Put the chains on, just get them on, dont worry about getting them super tight.

2. Drive slowly about 20'. Stop. Go out and tighten the chains. They will be super loose. If your trying to get up somthing, they are tight enough now to do it, just dont spin the wheels excessively.

3. Drive a mile or so, and do a final tightening. Make sure everything is good.

4. If your like me, I stop a third time to tighten just to get them super tight. Its better than a whipping chain taking out your fender!

--John

The Mav

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well you're running red letters. Of course you'll need all the help you can get. Those are terrible tires for anything but sand and dry pavement lol.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great post. I think I'll put a set in the truck as a "just in case" item.

OP
OP
J

johndjmix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chains are not needed on a Raptor its proper tires.

Really? You must have never used chains.

Come up the switzerland trail and do it in the ice. Run any tires you want. Lets see how that works out. 1000' is a long way down. If you make it dinner is on me if your not too freaked out to eat!

Chains *ARE* needed if you are 4 wheeling in the ice.

But I do agree with the generals are defiantly NOT for snow/ice use. BFG's work way way better in the snow. Still, no substitute for chains when the ice is out. Rubber on ice just cant grip.

The generals do Kick ass in the desert (I have a race truck for the desert, a trophylite, so thats where my raptor is mostly).

--John

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Really? You must have never used chains.

Come up the switzerland trail and do it in the ice. Run any tires you want. Lets see how that works out. 1000' is a long way down. If you make it dinner is on me if your not too freaked out to eat!

Chains *ARE* needed if you are 4 wheeling in the ice.

But I do agree with the generals are defiantly NOT for snow/ice use. BFG's work way way better in the snow. Still, no substitute for chains when the ice is out. Rubber on ice just cant grip.

The generals do Kick ass in the desert (I have a race truck for the desert, a trophylite, so thats where my raptor is mostly).

--John

That's a very specific edge case scenario. Studded Dura-Tracs would most likely work just as well though. I was referring to snow conditions and not so much ice for what it's worth.

GaryBacon

Reaction score
Just wanted to tell everyone, you *CAN* run tire chains on the raptor, with the stock or 35" tires.

Im running General Red Label 35x12.5x17's. I went here:

35-12.5-17 Tire Chains

And bought the ONORM DIAMOND chains.

They are lower profile than the "normal" heavy truck chains I ran on my previous trucks. Also, they go on faster than any chains ive ever used, have the coolest tensioner system ive seen, and are basically perfect for a light-duty chain. I wish the heaver chains used a similar system!

Used them last night on the rear, no rubbing. Slow speed high-suspension articulation stuff, and 30MPH road. No rubbing at all. If you have never used chains its an unbelievable difference. Fought tp get up this hill probably 10 times with a running start...no luck. Chained up and went up in 4L at 3mph like it was a joke. I love chains! Its comparable to the difference between 2 and 4 wheel drive.

Im still a little leery to run them on the front, but I would do it in a pinch at a slow speed if necessary.

For anyone that says "You don't need chains"....you haven't been in the Colorado Mountains. Once the trails get packed a bit then turn to ice, your not going anywhere. Several times my friend and I have gone up a hill, lost headway, and slid down backwards, unable to stop. On the east cost you don't see this as much, but out west....yea.

Why you need to ALWAYS carry them in the winter:
There are also many trails here that are shelf roads, not much wider than the truck, such as Switzerland trail in Boulder. Going off the edge is roughly a 1000' drop, sure death. I made the mistake of doing this trail once last year, and will never do it again if there is any snow/ice on it. The traction was one those if your going 3 mph and hit the brakes you slide 10'. Once I was on the trail i was commited. There was no way to turn around. Backing up would just slide you towards the edge. With the narrow trail tilted to the edge of the 1000' drop, its serious stuff. Made it through but defiantly slid a few times towards that edge. Kept my seat belt off and my hand on the drivers door, i was ready to jump if i got near that edge. After that day, decided to never go 4 wheeling anywhere in the winter without chains.

Chain Tips:
The chains have to be tight or else bad things happen. On my old F350 I had year ago, I had a chain come lose and remove a portion of the fender for me. Not cool.

Heres how I do it.

1. Put the chains on, just get them on, dont worry about getting them super tight.

2. Drive slowly about 20'. Stop. Go out and tighten the chains. They will be super loose. If your trying to get up somthing, they are tight enough now to do it, just dont spin the wheels excessively.

3. Drive a mile or so, and do a final tightening. Make sure everything is good.

4. If your like me, I stop a third time to tighten just to get them super tight. Its better than a whipping chain taking out your fender!

--John

Good man John.

Chains are great with lives at stake.
We use them on the pipeline to keep guys from sliding down hills and running into other people,equipment or the pipe itself.

Usually, guys only run only one front chain (a steering chain). Preferably on the side you really don't want to slide towards - pipe side or cliff side.
Also, tarp straps in an x-pattern give added security to the chain.
Would always insist on my crew doing this while chaining up.
I've also seen purpose build rubber bungy straps for chains that are 6 straps coming off a ring used to keep chains taught.

Chains stretch with use, so stopping and checking regularly and readjusting is really the only sure fire way.

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

That's a very specific edge case scenario. Studded Dura-Tracs would most likely work just as well though. I was referring to snow conditions and not so much ice for what it's worth.

I disagree. Ran studded duratracs on my 14 two winters ago and though they are great in winter, nothing compares to the traction of chains when it matters.