tie-down points

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

offroadshadow

Reaction score
Has anyone trailered their Raptor yet? Where are the best tie-down points on the Raptor to take it across country on a flatbed trailer?

Thanks in advance.

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is one of the things I do for a living.

AII's sugestion is a decent one. If you do not have the correct tie down equipment and are using straps, this makes sense. The main advantage is that it anchors the vehicle in a way that will not come loose with suspension travel...

I actually prefer Tanks suggestion. This is how most of our contractors would tie down trucks. The advantage to this is that it compresses your suspension and lowers CG. It also stops the vehicle from swaying which can be a big help depending on your tow vehicle, wind conditions etc. The major disadvantage is, especially with a longer travel system, if you hit a big bump the tie down can pop off if you do not get it tight enough (less of a problem if you are using it as a redundancy as suggested by tank).

The textbook answer (and the one I can tell you works great even under the most insane conditions... I have gone off of 12 inch drops at 55MPH with vehicles secured like this with no problems... DEFINITELY do not recommend it) is to use the keyholes located just inboard of the suspension. A correctly speced set of chains, crossed fore to aft with binders will ensure virtually zero movement of your truck. These points will not deflect or bend. The main problem is that again you are fully compressing the suspension, which could potentially damage it... never happened in my experience, however it is possible I guess.

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You might be able to get some rail transport blocks from your local Ford dealer. You have to talk to the New Car PDI department about this. Using the rail blocks will just about prevent any damage to the suspension when using the recovery hooks for tie-down points.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Nv Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is one of the things I do for a living.

AII's sugestion is a decent one. If you do not have the correct tie down equipment and are using straps, this makes sense. The main advantage is that it anchors the vehicle in a way that will not come loose with suspension travel...

I actually prefer Tanks suggestion. This is how most of our contractors would tie down trucks. The advantage to this is that it compresses your suspension and lowers CG. It also stops the vehicle from swaying which can be a big help depending on your tow vehicle, wind conditions etc. The major disadvantage is, especially with a longer travel system, if you hit a big bump the tie down can pop off if you do not get it tight enough (less of a problem if you are using it as a redundancy as suggested by tank).

The textbook answer (and the one I can tell you works great even under the most insane conditions... I have gone off of 12 inch drops at 55MPH with vehicles secured like this with no problems... DEFINITELY do not recommend it) is to use the keyholes located just inboard of the suspension. A correctly speced set of chains, crossed fore to aft with binders will ensure virtually zero movement of your truck. These points will not deflect or bend. The main problem is that again you are fully compressing the suspension, which could potentially damage it... never happened in my experience, however it is possible I guess.

Correct me if I am wrong, but dont you need those little "T" shaped thingies to attach/ get into the key holes Or can you just feed a link of chain into them?

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely want the t shaped thingies... the chain link trick may work if you have exactly the right gauge of chain though. Most tractor/wrecker repair places should carry them.

OP
OP
offroadshadow

offroadshadow

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the wisdom. I'm headed to King of the Hammers the week of Feb. 6. Assuming I make it there with the Raptor in one piece, and I find cell service in the middle of the desert, I'll send some photos of the Raptor and the event.