Tick tick tick...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

okieff218

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey my new 2014 only has 500 miles on it and when I started it I heard a loud ticking coming from the engine, or at least it sounded like it came from there. Kind of sounded like an old truck with a lifter ticking. It only lasted about 5 seconds, but it was enough that my wife made a comment about it and she's usually oblivious to strange engine noises. Normal for break in period or something I should take it in for? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
okieff218

okieff218

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like a lot of people having the same tick. Guess I should've searched the forum before I posted!

Last edited:

Dv8tor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As soon as the oil pressure comes up, it goes away. No big deal. Go thicker on the oil if you want. I did. Helps a little. I'm going to go 10w30 next. The 5w20 snake oil they recommend for these beasts is only for fuel economy purposes. I'd rather have the protection. That's just my opinion.

treatcg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine ticks/rattles around the cat converts when it comes down off of high idle normally after sitting a long time like overnight.

trayack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the world of Ford OHC motors....they all do it. Nothing to worry about, just a little shy on oil pressure when it first fires up.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
You guys think think this motor ticks? I should shoot some video of my 6.0 Chevy. Insanely loud clatter til warmed up.