TFLs Ford Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tinman44

Reaction score
How can I put a winch in my stock front bumper like the raptor in this video. Is there a kit? Is the bumper designed for a winch to be mounted here already?

NorhternILRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How can I put a winch in my stock front bumper like the raptor in this video. Is there a kit? Is the bumper designed for a winch to be mounted here already?

They have an install video on their YouTube channel.

I watched it once. I could of swore they said it was bolt on. But, at one point, they have a cutting wheel out. I need to rematch the video.

Found the link: https://youtu.be/TcYbff07khw

Last edited:

bigbadchad

Reaction score
Ok I'm looking for some help with this exact setup. I have the same winch, and ordered the Rough Country bracket (I've watched the TFL vid many times and even called companies they mentioned to find the right mounting plate). I just can't seem to find a legit install vid where I can find out once and for all if I can do this myself when the bracket gets here or not. I'd really love to not have to go to a shop for a $500 bolt up and wiring job I can do myself.

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
BigBadChad,
I've put winches on two of my trucks in the past. Most winches come with quick connect electrical connectors. That's the only wiring needed. You could put in a 440 amp fuse, (12,000# Warn winch draws 440 amps at 12,000# pull on outer layer of drum), but otherwise connect the leads to the battery. Most winches have remotes...either wired that plug into the winch, or wireless remote.
I have not installed a winch in my Gen 1...yet; but many have and it requires mostly bolt on brackets with modifying/removing the lower grille. Take your time, and it should be a 1-2 wrench job in terms of difficulty.
Goforit!

https://www.awdirect.com/connector-harness-4-superior-signals-stc918k-4/jump-start-sets/

Eddie

Attachments

• SM1.jpg
    SM1.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

bigbadchad

Reaction score
BigBadChad,
I've put winches on two of my trucks in the past. Most winches come with quick connect electrical connectors. That's the only wiring needed. You could put in a 440 amp fuse, (12,000# Warn winch draws 440 amps at 12,000# pull on outer layer of drum), but otherwise connect the leads to the battery. Most winches have remotes...either wired that plug into the winch, or wireless remote.
I have not installed a winch in my Gen 1...yet; but many have and it requires mostly bolt on brackets with modifying/removing the lower grille. Take your time, and it should be a 1-2 wrench job in terms of difficulty.
Goforit!

https://www.awdirect.com/connector-harness-4-superior-signals-stc918k-4/jump-start-sets/

Eddie

Sweeet. Seems like it should be THAT easy, but deep down I know it never is lol.
Winch is going in on Monday, I'll post back up when its all done!

biturbomg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had my warn 9.5xp in stock 2013 bumper for 5 years. Rough country hidden mount and drop skid and install. It is that simple and nothing to cut. Only issue I had was when I added Roush blower the heat exchanger was so big I had to fab the mounts up an inch or so to clear winch and extend wires on winch box so I could fab a front face mount on drives side so it fit. Was about $50 of wire and works perfect! It's really about an hour job if that if just doing the rough country and warn install. Drop skid, remove tow hooks, use floor jack and put in place and bolt in and hook to battery. Very easy and clean install.

bigbadchad

Reaction score
OK so winch is in and operational. Here's what I've got

Smittybilt X2O 12000lb synthetic line Winch,
Rough Country Hidden Winch mount bracket
on just a stock bumper.

and not much else. The whole process is just removing the skid plate to get to the tow hooks and remove those. The winch mount bolts right between the tow hooks and their original mounting points. Pretty straight forward and nothing really confusing.

The only real "modification'' that needed to be done was cutting the mounting points for the little plastic piece that ultimately makes the hole for the winch fairlead. Luckily my buddy had a sawzall and a wiz wheel to shave it down smooth. My one mistake and regret was cutting and smoothing ALL the brackets off because- the winch mount DOES NOT FILL THE ENTIRE HOLE lol. So, there is a gap on either side of it before the bumper. Had I been smart I would have left the furthest two outside brackets and cut down the stock plastic cover to fill the gap flush. But it's also a great place to put more lights in the future so we'll see what I decide to do.

The fairlead for the winch also does not fit unless you flip it upsidedown because of the shape of it, so I'll probably end up getting a more symmetrical fairlead down the line. But for now it works great for my trip this weekend.

Once the bracket pieces from the bumper are trimmed the mount bolts right up and then the winch bolts very simply to the mount and fits like a glove. Wiring it was was super easy with the directions provided by Smittybilt and i was pretty impressed with the quality of everything as well. The control unit for the winch has a choice of two mounting points- right on top of the winch, or extra hardware is included to side mount it which we need for it to fit in this application.

Everything is smooth sailing from there, pretensioning the winch and putting everything else back together, hopefully with no extra pieces ha.

My work is no masterpiece, but it works! Hope this helps anyone as I researched this for months and months before taking the plunge.

Attachments

• IMG_5485.jpg
    IMG_5485.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5492.jpg
    IMG_5492.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5494.jpg
    IMG_5494.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5493.jpg
    IMG_5493.jpg