Terrible rattle in my leaf springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fordraptorfans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have tried everything to kill this rattle. When the shocks are out there is no rattle at all. Even went so far as to get the beds off. Does anyone have any experience with this?

All roads lead to the leaf springs but bit confused why when the shocks are off the leaf so not rattle. .

These are Deaver + springs
Is there any fix or way to test ?

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When the shocks are off the truck, can you compress them? Do they stay compressed like the upper one in photo below? If so, the rattle may be shock related.

10120-2014-10-06-17-25-57.jpg

OP
OP
F

fordraptorfans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hi there. I already replaced the upper and lower "bearings" where the shocks connect.
Shocks were pretty recently rebuilt also

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

If you upgraded to 3.0 that noise would be the tappets opening and closing

Not sure what you mean? I have KING 3.0 Rear Bypass Shocks :)

OP
OP
F

fordraptorfans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I dont know what those are. ( tappets ) just telling you what I have already replaced. The bearings were pretty worn and loose

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ya I dont know what those are. ( tappets ) just telling you what I have already replaced. The bearings were pretty worn and loose

Basically what Huck is saying, is that bypass shocks have (check) valves which are called tappets. As these tappets open and close, they make a noise similar to what you are experiencing. While this may be annoying, it is normal for this type of shock.

If you have no rattle while the shocks are off, then common sense would say that the rattle is actually the tappets within the shocks.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To confirm, Run the adjustment screws all the way in to "close" the bypass. Then go drive it, it will be stiff as hell, but it wont make any noise.

Then if you back them out to your original settings, they will make noise.

this is just them opening and closing at a high rate, it can get irritating, but its the price you pay for external bypass.

OP
OP
F

fordraptorfans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically what Huck is saying, is that bypass shocks have (check) valves which are called tappets. As these tappets open and close, they make a noise similar to what you are experiencing. While this may be annoying, it is normal for this type of shock.

If you have no rattle while the shocks are off, then common sense would say that the rattle is actually the tappets within the shocks.

Thank you for the explanation. It has gotten progressively worse.
I was not there that I recall when I got the truck about 8 months ago.

Do you think it could be internal in the shock that needs to be rebuilt?
Short of swapping the leafs to test does anyone have any idea how to check