Tech Question on Ford Edge...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So for the techs out there. My wife has a 09 Ford Edge Limited (front wheel drive) Edge. She LOVES the vehicle. However, from day one, we have this strange whining noise that starts right at 38-40MPH and tappers off around 44-46MPH. Then you can hear it again around 50-52 MPH but seems to be less noticeable with road noise. So I took it back to the dealer and told the tech, who posted a "Could Not Duplicate". I then asked to ride with the service manager, who did indeed hear the noise. I asked to have a Ford Tech come in and take it for a ride. The tech drove it, and did a few things, checked a few things, and determined it was a "characteristic of the car"??? What??? really, you buy a new 35k+ vehicle and is has a dog whistle you have to live with?

Ok, so at any rate, here is my un-scientific analysis thus far:

- It is NOT wind related as it happens every day, any day, wind or not, at the same speeds.
- I do NOT think it is trans related as I can jump on the gas and hit that MPH range in different gears, but the noise is still there.
- I do NOT think it is motor related, as I can put the car in park and rev to the same RPM range, and no noise.

So here are my head scratchers:

- I can not understand what would make a whining noise at the exact speeds?
- I read a few on-line posts of people having issues with the fuel pumps, but that is heard all the time, not just at one speed.
- The noise is very high pitched, get louder, then stays, when within range. Once over or under, pitch goes away or changes.

ok, so I am going crazy trying to figure this out. Dealer is not going to help, as they got the Ford answer. I find it hard to believe in this day and age, that answer is acceptable?

So if any of you tech guys have any idea what it could be, or what to try in diagnosing this, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
Go back and have them drive a new one that is similarily equipped and see if that one does it also.

OP
OP
SLB8SNK

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go back and have them drive a new one that is similarly equipped and see if that one does it also.

Yea tried that the first day I drove with the service manager. Believe it or not, it did make a "similar" sound but at different speed ranges... I do not recall if is was an all wheel or front though. Strange huh?

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of that we have seen as a "common" concern that may fit your description is that some of the 08-09' MY Edges built before 12-4-08 had some faulty rear wheel bearings, but they commonly exhibited a growling or howling type noise. Can the noise be affected by loading to one side or the other? Try a small serpentine manuver at the lower speed you mentioned while the noise is present and holding a steady speed to see if the noise can be altered. Loading and unloading a bad bearing can isolate which side it is coming from. I know this is just an idea and may have nothing to do with the noise you are describing but maybe something worth a try?

FSM

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You could run alongside the car and listen while your wife drives it. :mrgreen: If you survive you know she loves you and she's a good driver. A bonus would be if you determined what's causing the noise :mrgreen:

I had a dog that liked to run alongside cars when he got loose/ran away. He'd look inside the cars for me or someone in my family. He wasn't really aware of the danger in doing that.

Dog%20running%20next%20to%20car.jpg

OP
OP
SLB8SNK

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of that we have seen as a "common" concern that may fit your description is that some of the 08-09' MY Edges built before 12-4-08 had some faulty rear wheel bearings, but they commonly exhibited a growling or howling type noise. Can the noise be affected by loading to one side or the other? Try a small serpentine manuver at the lower speed you mentioned while the noise is present and holding a steady speed to see if the noise can be altered. Loading and unloading a bad bearing can isolate which side it is coming from. I know this is just an idea and may have nothing to do with the noise you are describing but maybe something worth a try?

FSM

Amazing you suggest the wheel bearings as that was my original thought as the underside or drive train is the "only" thing that is steady and consistent with speed! I never tried to load either side, and probably the ONLY thing I have not done, but this makes perfect sense! It is nice to hear that there are KNOWN issues, as again I find it hard to believe this is normal at any level. One last thing, this Edge was built in 5/2009 so not sure if this applies? I will give it a try! Thanks SO much!

OP
OP
SLB8SNK

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could run alongside the car and listen while your wife drives it. :mrgreen: If you survive you know she loves you and she's a good driver. A bonus would be if you determined what's causing the noise :mrgreen:

I had a dog that liked to run alongside cars when he got loose/ran away. He'd look inside the cars for me or someone in my family. He wasn't really aware of the danger in doing that.

dog%20running%20next%20to%20car.jpg

fail lol

GasGasMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with FSM06 on the wheel bearings being the issue. There is a TSB for that concern.

Have the dealer pull this up.
TSB 10-2-9
Ford says to replace the rear hub bearings and trailing arm knuckles.

The dealer should have run the VIN # to see if there were any bulletins on this concern.

OP
OP
SLB8SNK

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with FSM06 on the wheel bearings being the issue. There is a TSB for that concern.

Have the dealer pull this up.
TSB 10-2-9
Ford says to replace the rear hub bearings and trailing arm knuckles.

The dealer should have run the VIN # to see if there were any bulletins on this concern.

I just got back from a long trip, and the Edge does this at the 38-42 MPH marker, but I also noticed a second and constant at 58-60 MPH and up. I am going to have this looked at, but can someone tell me if the build date on my Edge is excluded before I go to the dealer with the TSB? It was build 5/2009??

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got back from a long trip, and the Edge does this at the 38-42 MPH marker, but I also noticed a second and constant at 58-60 MPH and up. I am going to have this looked at, but can someone tell me if the build date on my Edge is excluded before I go to the dealer with the TSB? It was build 5/2009??

SLB, the TSB is only applicable to vehicles built before 12-4-08, so the TSB itself does not apply. Still would not rule out a wheel bearing.

FSM