Tailgate with step

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jigks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I had ordered my Raptor to come with a tailgate step but it didn't come with one, long story. Anyway, they sent me another tailgate (different colour) with the step, to use as parts to swap over however as I realized the tailgate with and without step are actually quite different and you can't just take the step out of one and put it in the other.

So I will have to tell my supplier to order a complete tailgate with the step in the right colour! What I want to know is can the tailgate with the step come with linex or just the plastic cover?

If so does anyone have any photos they can post for me?

Thanks.

OP
OP
Jigks

Jigks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
69eb018a15e8a5222d709bebd1cb1e7a.jpg

I take it you can't order them with the step, pole and linex?

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No Line-X. It has to have the plastic liner. I don't see why the parts from the new tailgate can't be installed in your current tailgate.

OP
OP
Jigks

Jigks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish you could, I started to do it before I found I couldn't.

There are several differences that I found. Firstly when you take the plastic cover off the top of the standard tailgate, the metal is flush.
d00b6677d70439f3ab0e32e43acc7169.jpg

The top of the step tailgate has a different top with a large indent to house the step.
650491304b243c1abe0b246320b60b31.jpg

It also has 2 box rails running inside it which guide the step bars as you pull it out and push it in. And generally it has a couple other differences to suit the step and pole and he plastic cover. A lot more holes for the bolts to hold the cover.

cups

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your trying to get a tailgate from ford, others have noted that is is only available unpainted (I assume it is primered). Also it is not available as a complete assembly. So you'd need to order the parts needed.
I'd suggest a junkyard tailgate.

OP
OP
Jigks

Jigks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks @cups but down here I can tell you there are no junkyards with Raptor parts. Nevertheless it is my suppliers problem to source it and paint it if necessary. I just needed confirmation that the plastic cover is the only choice you get if you have a step from factory.

cups

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tailgate is the same as any F150. (I believe). FYI. Good luck.

Just checked location. "Oh. Down there!!"