Stock passenger fender liner rubbing turning left

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

torrin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, this is weird. I have a 2012 Screw, stock wheels, stock tire size (Duratracs), and mid-perch. As bizarre as this sounds, my passenger side fender liner seems to rub when I'm turning left - but only on long road trips. It doesn't seem to do it in day to day driving. For example, I just drove to Missouri and back - sure enough, it started doing it and continued the whole time. It's barely catching - that little extension looking part, the lowest part of the liner. You can watch it happen and you can see the rub mark. It's not extreme enough to hurt anything, but it sounds terrible. Now that I'm back to day to day driving, it's once again not doing it. The liner doesn't appear overly loose nor disconnected (they're kinda floppy to begin with).

Any idea what's going on here? It's all stock suspension (with the exception of mid-perch).

I had a 2012 and it did it ALL THE TIME on long road trips, it was annoying as hell. I think it is because the tires expand just enough with lots of heat to barely touch.

My 2014 Roush has the same issue, only to a lesser degree. Generally after 500+ miles in one day in the summer.

6gun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did same same. I am stock tires/stock perch. I just reached up inside the wheel well where it was rubbing and put a kink in the liner away from the tire and it went away, at least for a while. Thought about putting a cutout or heating the liner with a heat gun and putting some relief in it but haven't gone there yet.

TiFJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, front. If you look, you see one kinda tab - that extends lower than the rest. That's what rubs. I may just cut it off, but it just seems weird.

Again - ONLY on long trips. This doesn't happen daily.

Mine did the same... couple hours on the highway, pull into a parking lot and during full-lock steering, the liners would rub. Trimmed them with a box cutter and no problems since, the liners are bigger than they need to be.

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, it's comforting to know that it's not just me and probably not something really wrong per se. Though I find it concerning that this happens on an all stock setup. Hell, if I was on bottom perch, this would be way worse, right?

C'mon Ford. Really? I know it's minor, but it also seems basic.

jocdmd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dane, i agree I think it's from the wind pushing inner liner back. I just cut off the part of the liner that hangs down at the very bottom with knife. Try trimming that piece it's only around 3x3".

FarFromStock

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yep, my 2012 does it too. When driving at highway speeds for long periods of time, the wind pressure pushes the liner back and they'll stay that way for a while before going back to their original shape, and back out of the way.

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dane, i agree I think it's from the wind pushing inner liner back. I just cut off the part of the liner that hangs down at the very bottom with knife. Try trimming that piece it's only around 3x3".

Yup, that was my plan. Just wanted to float it by here first. It seems I have my answer. The part to cut looks very obvious. I figure if I just cut it straight off it won't even look weird.

I find it strange that I only have this issue on my passenger side. But, whatever.