Stock passenger fender liner rubbing turning left

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, this is weird. I have a 2012 Screw, stock wheels, stock tire size (Duratracs), and mid-perch. As bizarre as this sounds, my passenger side fender liner seems to rub when I'm turning left - but only on long road trips. It doesn't seem to do it in day to day driving. For example, I just drove to Missouri and back - sure enough, it started doing it and continued the whole time. It's barely catching - that little extension looking part, the lowest part of the liner. You can watch it happen and you can see the rub mark. It's not extreme enough to hurt anything, but it sounds terrible. Now that I'm back to day to day driving, it's once again not doing it. The liner doesn't appear overly loose nor disconnected (they're kinda floppy to begin with).

Any idea what's going on here? It's all stock suspension (with the exception of mid-perch).

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have your alignment shop move the wheel forward in the wheel well. Either that or your in desperate need of some new bushings or ball joints in the front end.

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have your alignment shop move the wheel forward in the wheel well. Either that or your in desperate need of some new bushings or ball joints in the front end.

Where it's hitting is on the front of the wheel well. Forward seems like it'd make the problem worse.

I'm sitting at about 43,000 miles and other than this weirdness don't have any behavior to suspect ball joints/bushings. Truck drives just fine. I'll still check though.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Where it's hitting is on the front of the wheel well. Forward seems like it'd make the problem worse.

I'm sitting at about 43,000 miles and other than this weirdness don't have any behavior to suspect ball joints/bushings. Truck drives just fine. I'll still check though.

On the front? That's odd, mine rub at the back slightly at full lock but nothing to be worried about.

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On the front? That's odd, mine rub at the back slightly at full lock but nothing to be worried about.

Yup, front. If you look, you see one kinda tab - that extends lower than the rest. That's what rubs. I may just cut it off, but it just seems weird.

Again - ONLY on long trips. This doesn't happen daily.

cbcgeneral

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ya rubbing on the front is kind of weird. Mine rubs in the back on my passenger side every so often if in backing out of my driveway too fast. Maybe the wheel is set to far foward from your last alignment. If not I would just cut it off to just to be safe. Tires for these things aren't cheap lol.

cjf1001

Reaction score
Dane
I have the exact same problem on a long trip and I have the stock BFG's??

TrailWhale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy crap! I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue. Had a trip to FL and back earlier this month, and on my way back I pulled into a gas station and heard this rubbing noise when turning the tires in either direction. I can see where it's catching the tire, just barely. Now that I've been home and driven around it hasn't done it at all. Very odd.
My truck is all stock as well.

marilynsride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the stock retainers are not the ideal setup and i have seen posts on other forums about the inner fenders being moved by the air at speed forcing it to rub. i actually lost my drivers side due to this and luckily they warrantied it but when they replaced it they did not use all the retainers and it would not rub until 50mph i ended up using nuts and bolts to hold it in and havent had a problem since

TrailWhale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the stock retainers are not the ideal setup and i have seen posts on other forums about the inner fenders being moved by the air at speed forcing it to rub. i actually lost my drivers side due to this and luckily they warrantied it but when they replaced it they did not use all the retainers and it would not rub until 50mph i ended up using nuts and bolts to hold it in and havent had a problem since

That's what I was thinking the issue was. Just funny how it'll do it, and without messing with anything it self corrects LOL. I will mess with it when I do 37s in the coming weeks, since I will be trimming the liner anyway.