Stock Horn Just Isn't Enough

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Evilmonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm. If I were the other driver, I'd be looking around for the Beemer that's honking at me. Or the Mini Cooper...

I'm looking for something more than "cute"...

"This isn't the state of California, it's a state of insanity." - 1941

One quick two second blast is all it takes to see their eyebrows up near their hairline is all I care about. It's all about the attention getting DB blast! Without going with a train or semi horn setup which would take away space for LED light bars I'm happy with the end result. I know, the video sucks. Maybe I should have used the DB meter in it.

Thanks for your opinion!

plotshots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One quick two second blast is all it takes to see their eyebrows up near their hairline is all I care about. It's all about the attention getting DB blast! Without going with a train or semi horn setup which would take away space for LED light bars I'm happy with the end result. I know, the video sucks. Maybe I should have used the DB meter in it.

Thanks for your opinion!

I didn't mean to put it down, seriously. I used to have similar sounding horns on my '74 Datsun 260Z 2+2 (my first car). Brings back great memories.

Actually a dB meter on the stock horn would be interesting to see compared to the new setup... Anything 150 dBs and above is definitely worth looking at regardless of tone. Or memories.

Last edited:

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Thanks for your opinion!

I actually liked them for that reason more than the hella but not crazy like a real train horn. how long have you had them on? and the big question how much.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
This is the solution I came up with. They are Strebel Nautilus airhorns from griotsgarage.com. $40.00 each. Compressors are built in. Install was simple. I only had to make mounts for both horns. They came in at 118db on my meter. I completely deleted the stock horns. Resulting in no honk when I lock the truck with the key fob. They do sound like a European horn but scare the crap out of people without being to offensive. Definitely louder than stock.

Stock Raptor horn vs. dual mini airhorns. - YouTube

Ha! That's what I put on my feed truck! A little louder than the stock one and I needed something unique so my cows would always know it's me that's honking at them. They won't come to my neighbors' horns now.:smile:

Evilmonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually liked them for that reason more than the hella but not crazy like a real train horn. how long have you had them on? and the big question how much.

I've had them on for around four months. They're only forty bucks each. I did a side by side comparison with these horns vs. the Hella horns at the shop where I purchased them. They sounded loader than the Hellas.

plotshots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air Horns

OK - For the guys who have done the air horns, I have a few questions:
  1. Which system did you install?
  2. Did you go for the 2 gallon or the 5 gallon tank option?
  3. How did you install the tank and other components?
  4. Where/How did you mount the horns?
  5. Did you also keep the stock horns active and if so, how did you accomplish this?
  6. Are you using the compressor & tank in other functions, such as the ability to run air tools or air up the tires?
  7. Did you DIY or did you pay for installation?
  8. Any issues with the system?
  9. And what's the funniest reaction/satisfaction you have gotten from their use?

THANKS!

plotshots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK - For the guys who have done the air horns, I have a few questions:
  1. Which system did you install?
  2. Did you go for the 2 gallon or the 5 gallon tank option?
  3. How did you install the tank and other components?
  4. Where/How did you mount the horns?
  5. Did you also keep the stock horns active and if so, how did you accomplish this?
  6. Are you using the compressor & tank in other functions, such as the ability to run air tools or air up the tires?
  7. Did you DIY or did you pay for installation?
  8. Any issues with the system?
  9. And what's the funniest reaction/satisfaction you have gotten from their use?

THANKS!

BUMP