Steering Wheel and brake pedal vibration after brake job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigGriff023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put new OEM pads up front and had the rotors turned. On the test drive, I instantly noticed the steering wheel shakes back and forth during even light braking. I can also feel it in the pedal and the truck pulls to the right under braking. None of this was happening prior to me doing the brakes. Truck is a 2012 crew with 76k miles. Would something installed backwards or the way the rotors were turned cause this? Thanks in advance!

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In each set of pads, there's a specific outer and inner pad. The pad with the ears or bumps on the top is the inner pad. If the pads are installed on the wrong sides then it can cause interference when attempting to brake which can cause vibration and/or damage to the brake components etc. See this video for an example of how things should look. https://youtu.be/sXGcgUezqlY

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If the rotors were turned, they aren't warped - they would have told you that. I would recheck everything to make sure there isn't something installed backwards or maybe something missing. Sucks to tear it all back down, but there is something happening due to incorrectness.....

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
I'd guess rotors are warped. They might have not measured the thickness and turning them may have put them below spec.

OP
OP
BigGriff023

BigGriff023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: I tore everything back apart and checked for any install errors. Everything was installed perfectly correct and to spec. I put it all together and went for another drive. Still had the same problem. I went to my autoparts store and bought a set of OEM quality rotors. Installed them and everything is like brand new. No vibrations or movement. I'm guessing the original rotors were to thin to have turned but they did it anyways or something. Problem fixed.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
if theres rust on the back of the rotor, or the hub where they mate, it can cause the rotor runout to be out of spec, and cause a shake, but if you're feeling it in the pedal, that means theres a thickness variance in the rotor friction surfaces.