Steering feels "heavy"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roscoe95

Reaction score
Hi team,

my 2013 steering has started to feel "heavy". Feels like I need to work a bit harder to turn the wheel. Fluid is fine, no leaks. I have seen some information around the steering u joint rusting up. Mine does look a bit rusted and I sprayed some penetrating lube on there.

Anyone else had this same experience? Sign of a bigger issue? All in my head?

Thanks

Raven13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine has started to feel the same way and I'm also getting a slight whine from the ps pump, I suspect it's starting to fail. PS system is weak on these trucks.

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine started to wine a little bit, so i changed the fluid, put a PS cooler, a filter and its all perfect now. I have read that PS fluid should be changed every oil change, which is a pain in the ass, i am thinking every other oil change.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
98k miles on mine. Cooler installed. Changed the fluid when I installed the cooler. Never had a problem after that. Probably put over 50k miles on the fluid......

aschiller98

Reaction score
Mine has been making a slight whining noise, I will have to try flushing the fluid and see if that makes a difference.

1BAD454SS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought my pump was starting to go out, whirring noise. I pulled the belt off and found a idler bearing shot , and another that was just starting to make noise . Replaced all idlers and tensioner with a new belt. No more noise.