So on Sunday my truck started knocking...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Fired up my 2012 Sunday morning to go pick up a ladder from a friend. As it turned over, I heard this pretty loud knocking sound coming from the engine area. I immediately shut it down thinking the worst. I opened the hood and checked the oil level, and it was right on.

After a few minutes, I started it back up again and sure enough there was that knocking sound again. This time I just let it run. After about 20-30 seconds, the knock was gone.

So I drove to pick up the ladder and came back home. No more knocking all day when driving it.

Later that night before going to bed I fired it up. Yep, the knocking was back.

With a heavy heart, I went to sleep. The next morning I was up at 5 am for work and started it up. It was knocking again but once again it went away after about 30 seconds. I made my 19 mile commute to downtown with no issues and parked in our garage.

I made an appt. for that morning and took the truck in a 9 am to get an oil change (down to 10% oil life) and have them diagnose the noise. Of course, when I dropped it off, the service advisor was unable to hear it.

About 90 minutes later the service advisor appeared and said my oil change was done. He also said once in the garage, the Raptor started knocking again and it was really loud. *sigh*

However, he said they diagnosed it as the catalytic converter, not the engine. Boy was I relieved! It will be covered under warranty. The part was ordered and I have a appt. for Friday to get it replaced.

You have NO idea how worried I was :favorites13:

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
...However, he said they diagnosed it as the catalytic converter, not the engine. Boy was I relieved! It will be covered under warranty. The part was ordered and I have a appt. for Friday to get it replaced...

I'm glad things are headed in the right direction, DrippinRaptor! Let us know how things go on Friday; if you need any help from my neck of the woods, just give me a shout. :)

Crystal

alexyikes00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow.. i would've felt the same way... thats crazy would've never thought the cat would cause that knock.. good to know.. let us know how it goes after replacement.. good luck

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yea im pretty sure the reason they knock is because they fall apart on the inside. You can check them by knocking on them (obviously when its cold) and if they are bad you will hear stuff shaking around

OP
OP
DrippinRaptor

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah it was a scary few moments hearing that. I can't wait to get it replaced on Friday. The truck has a weird idle now, rough like it has a big cam, and it's down on power. With the cruise control on coming to work, it's downshifting a lot more than normal going up hills.

OP
OP
DrippinRaptor

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This morning my Engine light came on and the truck was really sputtering to make it to work. Anxious to get it fixed tomorrow.