Small travel trailer towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
I am looking at getting a Forest River Micro Lite 21' travel trailer. It's got a pretty low tongue weight, and weighs 3500ish dry. Anyone have experience towing a trailer like this with Deavers or Nationals? My deavers are setup for an extra 600lbs. I think I should be fine, and I am considering adding a weight distributing hitch to make everything right. Before we buy, I want to make the dealer hook it up to my truck just to make sure.

New 2013 Forest River RV Flagstaff Micro Lite 21FBRS Travel Trailers at Big Daddy RVs London Kentucky Big Daddy RVs

Lets see your Raptor towing a small travel trailer.

Does anyone have any ultra-light travel trailer suggestions? I like the Micro Lites configuration, plus it has a queen bed, nice interior, etc... My wife is all for it too!

OP
OP
treypal

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
We were riding bikes the other day and spotted one, sort of sparked our interest.

IRONMAN

Reaction score
My trailer is a 25ft living 27 total length and I've towed it with my stock springs and the Nationals. It towed fine with the stock but you can really tell the difference with the Nationals.
It just feels more stable. My Nationals are also set up for towing.
I have the stabilizer bars and the anti-sway bar. I believe the trailer weights around 4300lbs.
Here is my trailer.

Attachments

• IMG_2156.jpg
    IMG_2156.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 81

IRONMAN

Reaction score
Couple more pics.

Attachments

• IMAG0806.jpg
    IMAG0806.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMAG0893.jpg
    IMAG0893.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 86

Grunzen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
I don't have pictures but I tow a 2012 bullet 281bhs with equalizer hitch and have no issues. Dry weight is around 5400lbs dry weight, at least 1000lbs in trailer and 500lbs in the bed with no issues towing anywhere. Only downside I think about ultra lite trailer is they sit to low to ground. I tore off the rear trailer jacks bottoming out on my third trip. Cost me hundred dollars to get new ones.

Nv Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice floorplan, the wife and I have discussed a similar one.
Good idea on having the dealer do a hook up for you. When I was in the RV biz we did that from time to time. BTW-Every RV dealer has a used weight distributing hitch lying around, so don't let them BS you into thinking they have to open and assemble a new WD for you.