Sliders and Skid Plates, oh my! (WARNING: Pic Heavy!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tejas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good, I was hoping for more coverage from the steps/rock rails.

I love the skids, guess I need to get those on order now.

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Life got in the way and I had to cancel my order. Chris is awesome to work with and when life stops crapping on me I plan to order another set. My only thing with the trans skid is SDHQ came out with their several months and then came out with an upgraded trans cooler a few months ago. This is where I wonder about cooling problems because of the Bank 2 cross over pipe now being trapped by the skid plate and transmission if this puts a lot of heat in the transmission and is causing problem. Ford left that plate off for a reason other then to save a few pennies.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Tank I had similar thoughts. But I honestly after seeing the plates installed I just don't think its going to be a problem. I'll try to grab a pic tomorrow, but you can look straight thru the skids from the side of the truck. Yes the direct airflow at speed is obviously impeded by the skid, but there's no place for heat to build up since its wide open on either end. I think that will make more sense after showing the pic.

Tejas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do ya mean? Out away from the truck or underneath it, or something else?

Out away from it simply for an entry/exit step and for front tire roost coverage. Other than that, they look amazing. Looking forward to updates after they have been in use.

Tejas

Banned
Reaction score
Damn that looks good! Great job man. And great product Hefty!

-Sent from my iPhone

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Jason, thanks for the write-up! I would like to get a set of these at some point.
And one more: I think the aluminum is going to be slippery when wet. Not a problem for me and my size 15 boots, but for my wife who sometimes trades her boots for heels, that might present an issue. I plan to add grip tape (like the stuff used on skate boards) in strategic places to make sure she doesn't have any problems.
What about shooting the aluminum with Line-X? Solves the grip problem and would make it blend in if you changed your mind on the look of the bare aluminum.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sweet, those skids look like they will offer much more protection and the rails fit like a glove. Good job BigJ.

How is the G4 holding up and are you still pleased with it?

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Tank, here's a pic of what I was trying to explain before. You can see straight thru these things from the side. I doubt very much that heat buildup will be an issue with this design. Still though I guess it is possible...
IMG_1938.jpg

What about shooting the aluminum with Line-X? Solves the grip problem and would make it blend in if you changed your mind on the look of the bare aluminum.
That's a good thought! Maybe I'll go that route at the same time I do the wheel wells. My 10 minute 99cent spray paint job in there isn't holding up, surprisingly :crazy:

How is the G4 holding up and are you still pleased with it?
Ok I admit my memory is shiat. Help me remember... what's a G4?

Now that we've got some daylight, here are a few pics of the whole truck to hopefully give you an idea of the overall look these sliders have on the truck.
IMG_1941.jpg

IMG_1943.jpg

IMG_1944.jpg

IMG_1945.jpg