Sliders and Skid Plates, oh my! (WARNING: Pic Heavy!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I keep getting PMs about these things, so I figured I'd get the thread going now and keep it updated as I make progress.

I've been looking for what I call a *real* set of sliders/rocker panel protectors since I pulled off the OEM steps, way back when I got my Raptor. By "real", I mean weld-to-the-frame sliders that can be used as hilift jack points at any corner. There are lots of good options out there that will offer some slider protection, but to my eye none would also support the weight of the truck if used with a hi-lift. I could be wrong about that, but I just wasn't willing to find out. That was, until I saw what Hefty Fabworks had come up with.

After talking with Chris (of Hefty), I was convinced I'd found my sliders. I specifically asked "will these support the weight of the Raptor?" and he didnt' hesitate, saying "definitely". Hefty is a well known well respected small family run shop that caters mainly to the rock crawling Jeep world, and they're known to overbuild everything they make. These sliders, for example, are made from 1 3/4" x .125 wall DOM. That's some serious steel. Their reputation combined with the specs on these pieces and with Chris' assurances suited me and my 6-7k pound Raptor just fine, so I jumped thru the phone and ordered 'em up.

When I ordered the sliders, I also ordered a couple of steel skids from them at the same time. After seeing what Tank went thru, and how a quality plate in the right spot would have saved him upwards of 5 figures in damage, I decided transfer case and transmission skid plates were a must for my style of off roading.

I ordered around Nov 2, and the parts arrived yesterday Dec 12, via FedEx Freight. Hefty custom built a pallet, and as you can see they did a great job of packaging up this stuff to make sure it didn't rub itself, ding or dent on its way to me.

2011-12-12_11-39-46_986.jpg

2011-12-12_11-40-00_558.jpg

2011-12-12_11-41-45_920.jpg

Yeah yeah I know... unwrap that somebish already!

IMG_1864.jpg

Pretty, aint 'em?
IMG_1854.jpg

IMG_1857.jpg

IMG_1855.jpg

IMG_1853.jpg

IMG_1852.jpg

IMG_1846.jpg

IMG_1869.jpg

IMG_1868.jpg

IMG_1867.jpg
I threw these on my scale, and each weighs in at 63 pounds.

When I got to looking at these, two things struck me right away
1) these things are stout! They're clearly built to take a beating which is *exactly* what I was looking for. I hope to never need them, but if I do I'm positive they'll handle the issue with ease

2) those mounting flanges look a little thin compared to the rest of the rest of the slider, maybe? I shot an email to Chris, asking if he was REALLY sure that, if properly welded to the frame, will these hold the truck? Chris came right back and said yes, absoltuly. Tested and proven in fact. He also pointed out that these plates are already thicker than the frame itself, the 'L' makes it incredibly strong and the positioning has them being welded to the strongest part of the frame down there too. That's good enough for me.

Here's the steel transmission skid. On my scale this weighed in at 53 pounds.

IMG_1860.jpg

IMG_1862.jpg

And here's the beautifully bent steel transfer skid, weighing in at 30 pounds
IMG_1850.jpg

Notice the powder coating on all these? That's a special forumla developed by Hefty to exactly match Duplicolor satin black. The idea being if/when ya scratch these up, a quick spray with the rattle can matches the finish and color exactly, so overspray isn't a concern. That's a pretty nice little perk.

Install is coming in the next couple of days. My truck is currently at the dealer getting some warranty work done, so we'll have to wait to get it back. Stay tuned for lots of install notes and pics!

Last edited:

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good BigJ, that's a whole lot of bottom end protection.

19-Kilo

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yup, got the tranny skid on mine and love it. Have not hit anything to test it yet... but dont plan on looking for trouble :)

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
Nice J. But you'll need to install an air-lift suspension if you add any more weight to that Raptor.:crazy:

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those side steps looks sweet! I was shocked to see they only weight 63 pounds, I would have guessed 100+ based on how beefy they look. Looking forward to seeing the installed pics. :peace:

Banned
Reaction score
Looks good. Now get em in the rap and let's see em!

-Sent from my iPhone

White608

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't wait to see what the sliders look like on the truck. I think I'd have to paint the alum part black too.... buts that's just me I'm kinda anti unpainted lol