Skid plate lower bumper collision damage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BudOneAirship

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently had to pull out my daughters friends little Honda car out of my my snowed in driveway up here in Alaska and upon finishing the pull job she continued to reverse and ran into my 2011 Raptor with her back bumper. Very slow speed but it broke off the drivers side plastic bumper guard and caved in the bottom bumper/upper skid plate on my truck. I was shocked to see the $2,400 dollars damage to the front of my beloved Raptor vs zero damage to a cheap little cars back bumper. Not even a scratch or crack on her car. Was this just a lucky shot or is the bottom bumper where the skid plate attaches to it a weak point I should be aware of? Any thoughts or similar damage done to other Raptors out there?

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
there have been several members who have smashed in to stuff while offroading and came away with nothing worse than a little trail rash and maybe a dent. sounds to me like an unlucky situation. it's not a "known weak point" in other words.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I have an Outlaw TT bumper and my sister backed into it with her Fusion...she spent $2500 and I didn't even have a scratch! Before that a Civic thought he would cut in front of me and my ADD bymper...didn't go too well for him either :peace: Go aftermarket!!

OP
OP
BudOneAirship

BudOneAirship

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the input. It looks like it'll be chalked up to a very unlucky shot for my truck and lucky for the little rice burner.
Aftermarket front and rear bumpers are in this Raptors future.
Any aftermarket bumpers out there that include a beefed up the skid plate? Alaska off roading can be pretty brutal on any rig even my Raptor.

19-Kilo

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the input. It looks like it'll be chalked up to a very unlucky shot for my truck and lucky for the little rice burner.
Aftermarket front and rear bumpers are in this Raptors future.
Any aftermarket bumpers out there that include a beefed up the skid plate? Alaska off roading can be pretty brutal on any rig even my Raptor.

I have an Outlaw Raptor front bumper and skid plate and have smashed it a few times and it had held up GREAT! the skid plate can be just flattened out with a sledge hammer and looks like new.

I would suggest that you have the bumper coated with a marine primer under the powder coat since you are in AK and you get allot of moisture. its only a few bucks more. :favorites37:

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Jeez, the little Honda went UNDER your Raptor and contacted the skid plate (aluminum!). Yes, it's a known "weak point" HA HA - don't drive over little cars (or let them back into you) and you'll be fine.

Side note: when at all possible let cars determined to hit you drive into the rear end where the hitch and tow hooks are (put something in your hitch receiver to further help protect the Raptor).