skid jack or high lift jack?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Best is to get a skid jack, and hit up your local machine shop, or a friend with access and have them make a spacer for you. A lot of the 2.5 tons dont have the travel to get to the frame and still raise it enough to get a tire out.

I just had spacer made for my craftsman. Now it works fantastically.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In theory Hi-Lift Jacks can be multi-purpose tools. But they can be quite dangerous to use in most of those applications. In addition, there are, as others have said, few lifting points on a Raptor making its use rather limited.

A skid jack with some large timbers (4x4s) can do lots of things safely.

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

Best is to get a skid jack, and hit up your local machine shop, or a friend with access and have them make a spacer for you. A lot of the 2.5 tons dont have the travel to get to the frame and still raise it enough to get a tire out.

I just had spacer made for my craftsman. Now it works fantastically.

Can you post a pic for folks to see what you did there?

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ill try to get to it tonight.

Ill explain with some literature using ironmans photo.

The plate that contacts the frame. I just made a spacer to raise the height of the plate.

See attached photo, best i can do right now at work.

spacer_zps2b4d7e49.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Small end drops into the jack, large end accepts the disk

MotuMute

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Kind of depends on whether you plan to go on any sand dune runs.

Last year at the Lil Sahara sand dunes I de-beaded my right front tire drifting too aggressively with them aired down. Tried just airing it back up but the valve stem had gotten damaged, so no go

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370981363.977460.jpg

Lesson learned because changing a tire in the sinking sand is a royal pain in the ass. I'm not sure a skid jack would have had enough reach.

Fortunately Jimmy (WSI) had a high lift jack, and coupled with a block of wood it had reach to spare.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370981389.010363.jpg

And what if you go flat in the mud. As for me, I just want a spare as quickly and painlessly as possible, so I will end up with both.