Silver lake dunes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CP RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wondering if there is a place I can rent a flag at or around the silver lake dunes, if I'm able to go to the GLRE event in June I want to make a day trip to the dunes the following Monday.

Of course I don't have a flag so I'm wondering if I can avoid dragging one to Michigan and back on a 6-8 day trip.

Also, does the flag have to be mounted on the front or can I mount it in the bed?

IRONMAN

Reaction score
Some places sell a 2 piece flag that separate to make it easier to carry around.
That's what I have and like everyone has said it mounts in the front.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2 piece and it works great, breaks down and fits in the back of the bed without a problem.

And as previously stated it has to be mounted in the front.

Height requirement i don't believe is specific but they have a overhead post that it has to hit as you drive in.

Kmandoske

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't add amynore about the flag but I might end up a the dunes Sunday and Monday after the GLRE event. Depends on how the track is set up and the wait to make a run. Make sure you find me and I can show you around and help you get set up. Can't miss me, Ill be the big guy with the huge dog.

Keith

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Finding a flag once you're near Silver Lake won't be an issue. As someone already mentioned, David Allen Racing will have the flags for like $20 and they're literally a stones throw from the dune entrance. My suggestion would be to fab up your mount before you leave home. The local shops sell some generic flag mounts with ****** clamps and what not, but you'll see the dummies who buy those either fiddling around in the parking lot trying to get them mounted or driving through the dunes with the flag flopping in the sand. Most flags have a 1/2" fine thread stud (1/2-20) on the end and include a nut and a lock washer. Get a piece of 1/8" thick steel or 1/4" thick aluminum and cut it to about 1 1/2" wide and about 12-14" long; drill a hole on one end for the flag stud and two holes on the other end to align with your tow hook bolts. If you can slot the tow hook end it will be even easier to install and remove, because you can just loosen the tow hook bolts to sandwich it rather than totally remove them.

Attachments

• slsd_mount.png
    slsd_mount.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 59

Java

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Prices went up this year for fees $10 for orv trails and orv base $26.25. You need both for Silver Lake. Available online at michigan dnr website or easily bought locally at sporting goods stores

OP
OP
CP RAPTOR

CP RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't add amynore about the flag but I might end up a the dunes Sunday and Monday after the GLRE event. Depends on how the track is set up and the wait to make a run. Make sure you find me and I can show you around and help you get set up. Can't miss me, Ill be the big guy with the huge dog.

Keith

If your gonna have your FRF famous dog with you, my wife will find him so we will def meet up lol..

Thanks all for the info. I did browse through the dnr site but info is vague. Are the passes something I can get any day on my way to the dunes or if I go on a Sunday do I have to do the whole pre timed order pick up thing to get in?

Also, do these stores stock a good number of flags? Or should I be worried about getting there and not being able to grab one? If so I'd much rather buy one before I leave home but it's much more convenient to get one there of course.