Should I sell or Trade??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenbrackins

Reaction score
Hello All,

I ordered a 2018 Raptor over a month ago and it should be here in about 3 or 4 weeks. The dealer will give me the equivalent of $35.5K (adding the sales tax difference) for my 2012 silver screw that I bought new from same dealer. I think that is a decent trade price but obviously they will sell it for more. How hard is it to sell a used Raptor? If I want to sell it, I am sure it will take a little time but I am not sure exactly when my new truck will arrive so therefore I can't sell it too soon, nor do I want to wait to pick up the new truck when it comes in by trying to sell this one. I don't think the dealer is giving me anything for the add-ons. The truck isn't maxed out with options but it does have the moon roof and I added a Roll and Lock tonneau, K & N cold air intake, and an exhaust cut-out thanks to my then 14 year old son that insisted on it. It does have the expected small scratches and dings but it has been garaged kept and never off road. Also only has about 61K miles and new tires put on at 58K miles. How much should I ask for a fairly quick sell? What is a reasonable amount of time will it take to find a buyer? And frankly I would rather give someone the truck at a good deal than have the dealer make the extra cash. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking!

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Try facebook and also list here in classified section. The more the pics the better, offer copy of the carFOX. lol I would list it for $39500. My friend just bought and traded in his 12 Black Screw with 92k miles and and got $39500 on trade. Your dealer is very low on a trade in. Also consider the fact that you can always sell it for a lot more privately and pay off the chunk of the loan then.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Depends where you are located as well as what you are paying for your 2018. MSRP, under, over?

Looking at Autotrader in NJ, screws are listing around 40k with those miles.

The dealer is going to make his money on the trade or the sale, that's fair, just don't let him get both sides of the deal.

Oh and you will love the 18, it's off the hook.

Adam Ratatat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with all above. The dealer will take that Truck and list it for $42,000ish and make a killing. Used Raptors tend to make pretty quick moves around here in So-Cal and if you put yours up on Facebook or something around $37-$40, you would probably sell it pretty quick.

OP
OP
kenbrackins

kenbrackins

Reaction score
Okay, I will give it a go and list it for $38,500 and see how it goes. Thank you for your input, it is encouraging.

Adambcw

Reaction score
I was just offered 29k for my 12 screw with 91k miles on it in colorado . Wish i lived where they were offering 39k

djscoutmaster

Reaction score
I was just offered 29k for my 12 screw with 91k miles on it in colorado . Wish i lived where they were offering 39k

This seems more like the going rate, i just bought mine and all the 2011-2012 we not moving unless they were 30k and below. There are multiple 2012 with under 50kmiles in texas for 40k and they have all been on the lots for 90+ days. If the dealer is offering 35k for a 2012 i think thats pretty fair and i would take it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRG 1

Reaction score
So I have sold vehicles for 7 years and have evaluated trade - ins. I am now an Automotive Wholesaler.
Usually one makes more $$$ in a private sale than trade in. Raptors are one of the few vehicles that hold their value exceptionally well. Vehicles at Auction, especially trucks are getting high Value at auction even with the fees.
One thing to caution you on. Accessories don't add much to trade value, and in some cases hurt value. A new buyer may not want that unique accessory. Raptors may be the exception to that rule. GlWS