Should I sell?

• Yup, Sell it now! Cut your losses and get out of debt

Votes: 33 58.9%
  • No, Keep it and make it work!

Votes: 19 33.9%
  • Other

Votes: 4 7.1%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing to consider, I highly doubt you'll get 50k. It's possible to pick up a new one fully loaded for invoice - so from my own perspective, I wouldn't buy a used one (even if it had the exact mods I wanted) for anywhere near 50k. Maybe 40k.

That may impact your decision to sell - where did you come up with 50k?

Where did you come up with $40K?

I think he could pull $50k once he sorts out the 4wd and remaing issues.

FullAuto

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you decide to sell it I would try and bring it back to stock and sell the mods seperately. You will most likely recoup more of your money this way.

Edit....now that I see your mods (fenders) it might not be that simple.

OP
OP
K

kawie95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much could I get if I sat on it for a few months?

2011 Black SCREW - luxury package- 29,500 miles

37" BFG Baja TA KR Project race tires, 95% tread
17" Method Standard black race rims
Glassworks +2 Front Fenders
Volant PowerCore CAI
Line-X Premium Bed Liner
Dever +2 leaf springs
Outlaw Offroad rear bump stop and frame reinforcement
Baja Elite 5m GPS with Outlaw Offroad dashboard mount
ICOM VHF Chase Radio w/ antenna
Outlaw Offroad Lighting Claws / mount Rigid dually spot lights
Outlaw Offroad Spindle Gusset reinforcement
Outlaw Offroad Lower Control Arm Gusset reinforcement
Top-Perch + alignment
Cravenspeed Stubby antenna
OEM Alarm
Upgraded 2011 heavy duty rear differential (from dealer)
Hennessey 91 octane tune

Extras:
ICON Stainless Steel Power Steering reservoir (unopened)
4 extra stock tires/wheels with TPMS, low tread
Hennessey velociraptor intake tube kit (with 2 K&N damaged filters and damaged bracket)
Hennessey Velociraptor 91 octane tune programmer (option to return to stock)
OEM Sway bar
Method center caps for rims
Alignment Cams
Stock lug nuts
OEM antenna
OEM intake

Raptor Factory Options:
Luxury Package
Backup Camera
Power Moonroof
Trailer Brake Controller
36 gallon tank
Remote Start
Sony Navigation Radio
Heated Seats

Standard Features:
Sunroof
Leather Interior
Select shift transmission
Alarm System
CD Changer
Key-less Entry
Power Windows/Seats/Locks
A/C
Cruise Control
ABS
Driver/Passenger/Side Airbags

Non-Smoker

Attachments

• WindowSticker.jpg
    WindowSticker.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Sell it for as much as you can, even if that's less than you expect. It's a sunk cost, time to move ahead.

Sunk Cost
^^Spot on.

Unfortunately, when it comes time to sell a vehicle, modifications are a sunk cost. Their value will only be recovered for pennies on the dollar, if at all. Take a look at Race-Dezert, for example. All kinds of awesome pre-runners for 20-30k that have much more than that invested.

Blind1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
"I would like to buy another one in a few years, at least before I get too old"

I can't believe you said that^^^. You're 27 years old and I ensure you, you'll never be to old to own a Raptor. (As long you have a driver licenses anyway). With all the extras you have on it, you should get close to $50K, if not $50K.

Now if you going to sell it, just to buy another new truck, I would say keep it. Look at the prices of new trucks, even the 2 wheel drives prices are hovering close to $50K. Now if you are going to sell it and buy a decent used one, press with selling it & once you get your finances straight, you can acquire a new one.

One thing about life, when you are young it seems like time is in slow motion and you never get where or what you want, but now that I'm older time seems to fly by & now I just want it to slow down to enjoy what I have with the friends I have acquired. I wish I can go back in time to correct the **** ups I have done throughout my life, but I can't & you can't either. So Live & Learn and press on. It's just LIFE!

OP
OP
K

kawie95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^Spot on.

Unfortunately, when it comes time to sell a vehicle, modifications are a sunk cost. Their value will only be recovered for pennies on the dollar, if at all. Take a look at Race-Dezert, for example. All kinds of awesome pre-runners for 20-30k that have much more than that invested.

So should I take everything off (except bump stop and devers) and sell it separately?

---------- Post added at 08:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 AM ----------

"I would like to buy another one in a few years, at least before I get too old"

I can't believe you said that^^^. You're 27 years old and I ensure you, you'll never be to old to own a Raptor. (As long you have a driver licenses anyway). With all the extras you have on it, you should get close to $50K, if not $50K.

Now if you going to sell it, just to buy another new truck, I would say keep it. Look at the prices of new trucks, even the 2 wheel drives prices are hovering close to $50K. Now if you are going to sell it and buy a decent used one, press with selling it & once you get your finances straight, you can acquire a new one.

One thing about life, when you are young it seems like time is in slow motion and you never get where or what you want, but now that I'm older time seems to fly by & now I just want it to slow down to enjoy what I have with the friends I have acquired. I wish I can go back in time to correct the **** ups I have done throughout my life, but I can't & you can't either. So Live & Learn and press on. It's just LIFE!

I'll probably sell it, cancel the insurance ($120/mo) and drive my brothers truck for a bit (2000 Chevy Silverado with 220k miles). Needs some work like suspension and is prone to transmission issues, but at least its paid for. Might fix it up for him while I am using it for a year or so. That will save me $800/mo without the $650 car payment and $120 insurance each month. I still have insurance on another vehicle (long story) so I should be covered as far as being pulled over.

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have bought and sold a ton of cars, and unfortunately the way things work is that you never really "cut your losses".

not saying it will happen, but experience shows a couple of things:

1. you (general you, not specific you) are used to certain style/quality of vehicle, and it's very hard to get out of that segment, so even if you sell the Raptor, the replacement truck will still be in the same segment of cost of ownership as the Raptor
2. you'll lose money over the switch, more money than if you just keep it and ride it out. This is almost always a sure thing.

I wish you luck, and if you can keep the Raptor, try to do it.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
So should I take everything off (except bump stop and devers) and sell it separately?

I think you would get more money out of your mods that way, but it takes time and effort to sell all of that stuff.

I'll probably sell it, cancel the insurance ($120/mo) and drive my brothers truck for a bit (2000 Chevy Silverado with 220k miles). Needs some work like suspension and is prone to transmission issues, but at least its paid for. Might fix it up for him while I am using it for a year or so. That will save me $800/mo without the $650 car payment and $120 insurance each month. I still have insurance on another vehicle (long story) so I should be covered as far as being pulled over.
That is definitely a better plan than buying a new truck.

Last edited: