GEN 1 Should I buy back my rolled SCAB?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordraptorHero

Reaction score
Speaking as someone who's rolled a raptor... I'd say buy it if you want to build an offroad only rig. It won't be worth your time unless you can do everything yourself and source the parts. Parts are getting a hell of a lot harder to find these days.

My insurance co sold my truck for about $3,500 and a dealership in South Dakota has had it listed for $9k for a few months with no bites.

Holy shit.... I hope everyone was alright.

NOLA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking as someone who's rolled a raptor... I'd say buy it if you want to build an offroad only rig. It won't be worth your time unless you can do everything yourself and source the parts. Parts are getting a hell of a lot harder to find these days.

My insurance co sold my truck for about $3,500 and a dealership in South Dakota has had it listed for $9k for a few months with no bites.

Stilllll waiting on the video :)

NOLA

OP
OP
Robb0h

Robb0h

Reaction score
Update:

They took my truck over 2 weeks ago from its nice covered parking in my barn to do the appraisal... During that time we've had some significant thunderstorms (wall of water style) and the salvage yard didn't cover the truck well enough to keep the water from getting in the cab through the compromised window & sunroof. I can't tell how much over the last two weeks but the cup holders are completely full of water...

I'm far less interested in retaining it now. The interior (seats/dash) was fine before this. I don't want to fight electrical gremlins or mildew. I've asked the insurance company if they want to adjust the buyback in light of that...we'll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:

They took my truck over 2 weeks ago from its nice covered parking in my barn to do the appraisal... During that time we've had some significant thunderstorms (wall of water style) and the salvage yard didn't cover the truck well enough to keep the water from getting in the cab through the compromised window & sunroof. I can't tell how much over the last two weeks but the cup holders are completely full of water...

I'm far less interested in retaining it now. The interior (seats/dash) was fine before this. I don't want to fight electrical gremlins or mildew. I've asked the insurance company if they want to adjust the buyback in light of that...we'll see.

I wouldn't touch it now if there's any sign of water on or around the dash. That's just asking for electrical trouble down the line.

---------- Post added at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 AM ----------

Stilllll waiting on the video :)

NOLA

It'll be a while before it gets posted. Settlements have come to a standstill and will take a bit of time.

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't let the water sway you. It wouldn't add much more to the final cost to get a cab with a dash and harness still in it.

As has already been posted - you could have a Raptor for less than the cost of a RZR.

Hole Shot

FRF Addict
Reaction score
insurance wanted 20k for me to buy mine back. I think its a no brainer. Buy it back!! Thats alut of labor though. the cab should be easy to find. Standard F150, and just go fiberglass with the bedsides and front fenders. Hoods can be had for $400 or you can get a carbon fiber one for 3K which is what a new one from ford costs. Stock fenders can be found easily also.

OP
OP
Robb0h

Robb0h

Reaction score
You guys are right... I had a panic moment, but for $5k I can't lose. Took another friend to have a second set of eyes and he said he'd give me $6,500 as is if I decide to let it go. Once we poked around it turns out the water doesn't appear to have gotten into much...just filled the cupholders haha.

Got it back home now and going to clean up all the glass from the interior and start making a plan.