Shocks cold weather sensitive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rickoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, here's my theory.....

There are those that have found by properly torquing the bottom front shock bolts, the noise is eliminated. I've had that done (or at least the dealer told me they did it) with no change.

I'm thinking maybe the viscosity of the shock oil is high (thick) when it's cold, causing the shocks to compress much less easily. When this happens, the shock can't react quickly enough and any play at all at the lower shock mount causes the shock to shift in it's mount causing noise resembling a bad ball joint, tie rod or stabilizer bushing. (exactly what mine sounds like)

When the temperature increases, the viscosity of the shock oil lowers, allowing the shock to react more quickly preventing movement at the lower mount resulting in less or no noise.

Is there anything internal of these shocks that would allow them to knock? It seems to me, it's more likely the shock mount making noise than the shock.

Why is it that some folks don't have this issue and others do? Would make me think it's not the shock's design, but the way it's installed.

I've thought about mounting my go-pro aimed at the shock and see if there is any noticeable movement at the lower shock mount. I'm afraid it's likely less than what you could visibly detect.

I'm happy to listen to anyone who feels they can shoot my theory all to hell...lol

Scoobydrew32

Reaction score
Okay, here's my theory.....

There are those that have found by properly torquing the bottom front shock bolts, the noise is eliminated. I've had that done (or at least the dealer told me they did it) with no change.

I'm thinking maybe the viscosity of the shock oil is high (thick) when it's cold, causing the shocks to compress much less easily. When this happens, the shock can't react quickly enough and any play at all at the lower shock mount causes the shock to shift in it's mount causing noise resembling a bad ball joint, tie rod or stabilizer bushing. (exactly what mine sounds like)

When the temperature increases, the viscosity of the shock oil lowers, allowing the shock to react more quickly preventing movement at the lower mount resulting in less or no noise.

Is there anything internal of these shocks that would allow them to knock? It seems to me, it's more likely the shock mount making noise than the shock.

Why is it that some folks don't have this issue and others do? Would make me think it's not the shock's design, but the way it's installed.

I've thought about mounting my go-pro aimed at the shock and see if there is any noticeable movement at the lower shock mount. I'm afraid it's likely less than what you could visibly detect.

I'm happy to listen to anyone who feels they can shoot my theory all to hell...lol

You are partially right. As the viscosity increases, the shocks are stiffer (not slower to react). This translates into a rougher ride. The noise is probably coming from your mounting (top mount and/or lower bushing). Couple that with cold temperatures affecting the stiffness of the rubber in the mounts, I can see there being some noise. So far I haven't noticed it on mine, but I've only had it a week and I tend to have my music loud.

Internally, there shouldn't be anything knocking. If it was a swishing noise, then that would be something shock internal.

I'm merely speaking from memory. I tore down several of Raptor Fox shocks in a previous life (I was a shock engineer for their one of their competitors). I've slept since then so my memory might be a bit dated/lacking. :tongue: