Shimming front tow hooks to clear Road Armor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheButcher

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but when the Road Armor Stealth bumper is installed, the tow hooks will have a clearance issue with the bumper. We shimmed the hooks down with about 5 washers that are the correct diameter for the mounting bolts. The thread of the bolt goes all the way through the frame section with several threads protruding through the top side, so there is plenty of bolt "bite". Anyone see an issue with this solution in terms of strength/safety in the event that the tow hooks need to actually be used?

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but when the Road Armor Stealth bumper is installed, the tow hooks will have a clearance issue with the bumper. We shimmed the hooks down with about 5 washers that are the correct diameter for the mounting bolts. The thread of the bolt goes all the way through the frame section with several threads protruding through the top side, so there is plenty of bolt "bite". Anyone see an issue with this solution in terms of strength/safety in the event that the tow hooks need to actually be used?

You shouldn't have a problem with spacing down, but it should be done with flat plate, washers don't cover enough surface area, leaving the chance of flex causing the bolts to shear.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^ agree...

Get a piece of flat plate stock from Lowes, and drill some holes in it. You want it to match the same width of the tow hook. Probably about 1.5" or 2". Use this between the bottom of the frame horn and the tow hook.

OP
OP
TheButcher

TheButcher

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. We have some plate around the shop so we can cut it to fit. Great idea.

DocSpooK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Additionally, the new Bubba rope Gator Jaw soft shackle was a great help pulling me out of the snow with my tight cleearance hooks on an ADD Stealth
8e025d5d2d9fd0fb6960ca970fc00522.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
TheButcher

TheButcher

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Additionally, the new Bubba rope Gator Jaw soft shackle was a great help pulling me out of the snow with my tight cleearance hooks on an ADD Stealth
8e025d5d2d9fd0fb6960ca970fc00522.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just saw that in my newest 4Wheel mag. Thought that would be a great solution as well since there is no way to get steel shackle in the towhook with that new bumper in place. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 AM ----------

Just looked on Amazon for the Gatorjaw shackle.... $55 for the dang thing! I was thinking $20-$30, but $55? Guess I won't be getting two of them...

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just saw that in my newest 4Wheel mag. Thought that would be a great solution as well since there is no way to get steel shackle in the towhook with that new bumper in place. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 AM ----------

Just looked on Amazon for the Gatorjaw shackle.... $55 for the dang thing! I was thinking $20-$30, but $55? Guess I won't be getting two of them...
You can consider the another soft shackle by Southeast Overland. It's a little different design and @RSiWORKS (supporting vendor) carries them. I think he is seeing up another group buy for some gear.

See my recent post on the winch upgrades where I have some pics posted. I believe they are about $35 each.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f67/winch-maintanance-upgrades-28620/index2.html#post821864

www.runraptorrun.com

Last edited:

RSiWORKS

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You can consider the another soft shackle by Southeast Overland. It's a little different design and @RSiWORKS (supporting vendor) carries them. I think he is seeing up another group buy for some gear.

See my recent post on the winch upgrades where I have some pics posted. I believe they are about $35 each.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f67/winch-maintanance-upgrades-28620/index2.html#post821864

Run Raptor Run | Great Lakes Raptor Excursions (GLRE)

The soft shackles are $36.50 plus shipping of $5 ea.
So $41.50ea shipped to your house.
If I were to get a group of people wanting gear I can get group shipping which would be much cheaper, I'll be putting together a TRR group buy of kinetic ropes, soft shackles, and other gear soon.