Serious disappointment with stock bed tie downs...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SVT_Aaron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was getting a load of wood from Home Depot last night which would be the first load I've had to use wratcheting straps and I started to tighten the strap down on the wood and the whole stock tie down and side of the bed started bending in!!! I didn't even have the strap that tight before I noticed the insane amount of give on the bed/tie downs....

Please tell me this is not normal and that something is defective?!? I don't see being able to tie ANYTHING with significant weight down with these tie downs if this is normal for all raptors....

If you're familiar with bed separation from off-roading, then you'll understand me when I say that I used a ratchet strap to pull the bedsides back in and hold them in place so that the bed separation wouldn't be so bad. So it kind of doesn't surprise me that you had this happen to you.

Sent from iPhone 6S+

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Like @KaiserM715 stated, although the stock tie downs are provided, there are some better solutions for tying stuff down in our trucks (or any truck for that matter). The track system that he installed is pretty sweet.

I went with the Rack One system from WSI, and it was the best thing that I've done for load securement. Recently went to Snoball this year, and we were throwing the truck around pretty good. Everything that we had in the back - spare tire, jack, numerous tool boxes, coolers, etc. stayed exactly where we loaded it.

I know you want to get your issue taken care of, but if you plan on hauling stuff around more frequently, you really should look at additional securement systems. They allow you to put tie downs in more areas than just the 4 corners of the bed, and most are bolted down through the bed bolts / frame.

Good luck with you issue, and let me know if you would like pricing on the Rack One system for your future needs.

D

Deleted member 12951

I did not like the looks of the OEM style, so I added these:http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f11/cheap-bed-ring-mod-44939/

Looked at that thread and been finding that the mopar part number is showing up as a discontinued product on quite a few websites. The overstock site has shipping as much as 4 of them.

Found another part number but not sure of the difference and if they have the same size hole to work the same?

05170492AA

OP
OP
E

Enigma94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're familiar with bed separation from off-roading, then you'll understand me when I say that I used a ratchet strap to pull the bedsides back in and hold them in place so that the bed separation wouldn't be so bad. So it kind of doesn't surprise me that you had this happen to you.

Sent from iPhone 6S+

I'm not familiar with it as I just purchased the truck a month ago. I'll have to look into this bed separation because it does not sound good at all....

Like @KaiserM715 stated, although the stock tie downs are provided, there are some better solutions for tying stuff down in our trucks (or any truck for that matter). The track system that he installed is pretty sweet.

I went with the Rack One system from WSI, and it was the best thing that I've done for load securement. Recently went to Snoball this year, and we were throwing the truck around pretty good. Everything that we had in the back - spare tire, jack, numerous tool boxes, coolers, etc. stayed exactly where we loaded it.

I know you want to get your issue taken care of, but if you plan on hauling stuff around more frequently, you really should look at additional securement systems. They allow you to put tie downs in more areas than just the 4 corners of the bed, and most are bolted down through the bed bolts / frame.

Good luck with you issue, and let me know if you would like pricing on the Rack One system for your future needs.

I really don't do much hauling minus just camping gear when I go out and the occasional Home Depot trip so I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be in drilling a bunch of holes in the bed and such....

I think the stock tie downs will be fine for my needs if they were actually secure...

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Enigma94 sounds good. Just as info - the Rack One attaches to the bed utilizing 4 bed bolts. No drilling or cutting. Sounds perfect for your needs. Maybe down the road.....

OP
OP
E

Enigma94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Enigma94 sounds good. Just as info - the Rack One attaches to the bed utilizing 4 bed bolts. No drilling or cutting. Sounds perfect for your needs. Maybe down the road.....

That sounds perfect!! Do you have a install thread or some pics of the set up?

I dunno if it's just me but drilling into a $50k truck just doesn't sound like something I want to do, that why I will never have a roof mounted light bar lol.