To Sell or Keep?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.4 liter is the Power Wagon Hemi gas burner. The Cummins in that is a six cylinder/ 6.7 iirc which is an animal motor. The 6.2 liter is the Boss Ford motor so your right. I was mainly talking about the 3.5 liter motor. Have not driven the new Raptor, I have been in and driven the 3.5 liter turbo truck so I would imagine it is a Hi Power version of that. Honestly, though for what it is and the new Avalanche color is spectacular, I just can not justify the price vs. what you are getting the Power Wagon is a lot better deal overall.

If Ford wants to get serious then they could just supercharge the 5 liter and go with that. To have a 1500 truck and limit it with a high boost low displacement v6 makes no sense what so ever. To each their own, though If your happy then that is all that matters. I am sure a few Big Horn, Laramie and Power Wagon owners would be happy to go to work against a Raptor. The trucks just are not what they use to be anything. Should have stepped up displacement and power not reduce it.

I am really lost with your logic - a Raptor forum, comparing new to old, then you throw in Dodge motors...
Then you also say twin turbos with a 10 spd would be weird, like in a negative way, let's seeing a lower first gear than the 6 spd with crawling or more gear options when offroading or to stay in the power band longer...High boost low displacement and yet you even bring up Cummins which is diesel. I really just don't follow.

What ever you've driven of the 3.5L, you haven't spent much time behind the wheel at all.
I've had 3 F150 3.5L Long box Screw Eco's prior to my 17 Raptor. All 3 of those behave more like a diesel with the low end torque and less RPM's to max torque. All 3 of those tow better than my 14 Raptor, were heavier with Long Box. Trailer I am talking lightweight, enclosed 8x10 trailer single axle with maybe 1000 lbs in it. Same hills and roads, 3.5L might shift down to 5th. 6.2L Raptor would be in 3rd/4th. I know towing is different, but want to talk about efficient use of power and Engine/trans capabilities stock...Eco wins hands down.

Also as to stepped up power they did - 39 HP & 76 lb-ft
Raptor 6.2L V8 (411 hp and 434 lb-ft of torque)
Raptor 3.5L HO Eco V6 (450 hp and 510 lb-ft of torque)

Standard 3.5L Eco3.5L EcoBoost V6 (375 hp and 470 lb-ft of torque)
So even to compare it to the standard 3.5L Eco you're off 75 HP and 40 lb-ft, plus throttle wise the standard Eco is no where near as responsive as the HO.

For the $ and all around truck, I would agree the Power Wagon would be hard to beat, but that's a different class at 3/4 ton. I like taking the wife out and she's been spoiled by the quiet EcoBoost Engine, as have I. If it wasn't for the wife, I would've looked a lot closer at the Power Wagon, but it is a lot of fun having a truck that drives more like a sports car! :biggrin:

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Look you can go back and forth on this subject all day long,

3 reasons for NOT to get a 2017 ecoboost Raptor

1. Reliability/ longevity -- turbo costs and service
2. that v8 sound
3. I want a truck and not a sports car

I own a sports car and I need a truck to sound driver and act like a truck not a super model trying to be something it is not.

I love my STi, and I promise you, the 17 Raptor even as fast as it is. Is not keeping up with a Camaro SS, Mustang GT, STI, Corvette etc. etc.

You like it, you took your wife to dinner and it was a nice quiet ride. It fits your lifestyle and what you do with it. I have no problem with that, but in the end you have a 3.5 liter v6 high boosted to make 450 HP. No way that setup lasts 100-200-maybe even 300 thousand miles like the 6.2 liter dinosaur motor will or even the 5 liter.

The v6 Raptor fits you and your lifestyle, who am I to say any different. However, funny thing is until they put bigger turbos and added more fuel and air then no one on here was excited about driving a v6 truck.

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We could...
But it seems to me you don't even know what you really want. Talking from Raptors to Power Wagons to Cummins. I was in the same boat.

No way that setup lasts that long...hmm I've seen numerous posts about 200K+ on the 3.5L Eco with only maintenance type items. Again time will tell.

Not only that when's the last truck you kept to that kind of mileage, less people than people that off road their Raptor...seems to me this thread is about your justification of choice of not getting one, which is perfectly fine...but some of your facts are off.

No one on here excited about driving a V6 truck? Years ago I and others have said a nice Raptor option would be the the 3.5L - Jan 2017
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f83/ecobeast-=-v8-ecoboost;-yes-please-39909/index2.html#post808618

Personally a truck to me is a long box 3/4 ton or heavier. Short box 1/2 ton doesn't quite qualify. Something that can tow most things a guy with a few acres would tow. Yep my Raptors are a hybrid cross between a truck and a sports car, but I like my toys!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here actually bought a gen 2 and kept their gen 1? I love my gen 1 but also really want a gen 2. Gen 2 daily driver and Gen 1 offroad build would be fun. :)

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep have both - http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f5/sell-keep-54665/index2.html#post1150333

I am considering doing exactly what you're saying....a few more adds to the Gen I and I've have it setup exactly how I want it..exhaust change, a few more lights and a tune. Might leave Gen 2 at the other house where I hunt/off road more.
Just want to get Gen 2 undercoated first and then go do some off road comparisons, been too damn busy!

nitronate33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's all about perspective I guess. There was a time when Boss 429's were sitting on used car lots or being driven by high school kids.

Simple car math. There will be far more eco Raptors than SVT Raptors. Lot's of SVT Raptors have already been totaled. Relative rarity is always a big factor in future value.

A 2017 Mustang GT is 'better in every way' than a 70 Boss 429. I know which one I'd rather have.

For me personally, I may pick up an alumaraptor but I won't be selling my G1. Not because I think it's going to sky rocket in value but because I have the cost of a G2 in mods and I'm not willing to throw that away.

edit: I used a 429 as an example because it makes an impact (and they really were sitting on used car lots when the oil embargo hit in the 70s) but I realized the pedants would have a field day with the gulf in actual production numbers - so for the *********... The Early Bronco is a better example. Over 200k built and they are worth 10 times what they sold for in the late 60s early 70s. SVT Raptor totals are ~80k.

I'm not the only one - Car and Driver

yeah but you've gotta keep your car/truck forever to get any value out of it. and when/if they do come back in value depends on a ton of factors, rarety is just one of them and not in any way guaranteed to deliver high value. anything produced by car and driver on future value is a wild guess at best.

vehicles are money pits, period. they are the worst investment ever. the only ones who make real money are those who buy and fix up old cars that rich people and/or hoarders keep in barns/garages forever because they have a disability that prevents them from parting with them.

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yeah but you've gotta keep your car/truck forever to get any value out of it. and when/if they do come back in value depends on a ton of factors, rarety is just one of them and not in any way guaranteed to deliver high value. anything produced by car and driver on future value is a wild guess at best.

vehicles are money pits, period. they are the worst investment ever. the only ones who make real money are those who buy and fix up old cars that rich people and/or hoarders keep in barns/garages forever because they have a disability that prevents them from parting with them.

My point was more about one naturally being rarer than the other (G1 / G2) than anything else. I'm certainly not hanging on to mine for that reason. I simply have too much invested to take a loss so I can buy a less capable, newer model.