To Sell or Keep?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
P

pillowsoft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking at trading mine in on a Power Wagon. That 6.4 liter Hemi in a 2500 series truck is nice. Like has been said the eco boot 3.5 liter really after the end of the day, regardless of the v-8 noises pumping through its stereo is a v-6. For most all of you street pounders who do little to no off roading then that will work fine. For me I need something that has the low end torque of the v-8. Ask anyone and they will tell you a v8 is ten times better than a highly boosted v6 or smaller displacement motor when it comes to off roadness.

If Ford ever does a v-8 two turbo then watch out that would be a monster until then no 3.5 liter high boost v6 for me unless its in a Mustang or something.

On my raptor there isn't fake noise, I used forscan and there isn't any fake sounds set up to be disabled so all the sounds are natural. I was happy to see this

Also the V6 makes more low end torque the the V8s thanks to the Direct injection/turbos, You should think of the V6 ecoboost as a I6 Cummins. The sound the 3.5 Ecoboost is combustion, the spark fires igniting the fuel mixture, then direct Injection Fires during powerstroke just after the Sparkplug fires. This is where you get your Torque. The longer the Direct injector is on the louder the combustion sound is.

Honestly you guys don't give this V6 enough credit.... With that said I would love to see this V6s architecture in a V8, basically add 2 pistons to this V6. But I'm not sure how close we are to the German V8s in M5s and RS6s

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On my raptor there isn't fake noise, I used forscan and there isn't any fake sounds set up to be disabled so all the sounds are natural. I was happy to see this

That not what others here have reported.

Also the V6 makes more low end torque the the V8s thanks to the Direct injection/turbos, You should think of the V6 ecoboost as a I6 Cummins. The sound the 3.5 Ecoboost is combustion, the spark fires igniting the fuel mixture, then direct Injection Fires during powerstroke just after the Sparkplug fires. This is where you get your Torque. The longer the Direct injector is on the louder the combustion sound is.

The point of the post you quoted is the n/a V8 has better driveablity in a slow, rough, off road scenario. The 6.2L has more low end grunt at small throttle openings. If they are both wide open throttle- yes the turbo V6 makes more low end torque, but if you take away the boost- you take away the torque.

Honestly you guys don't give this V6 enough credit.... With that said I would love to see this V6s architecture in a V8, basically add 2 pistons to this V6. But I'm not sure how close we are to the German V8s in M5s and RS6s

Credit for what specifically? The turbo V6 is slightly more powerful and gets a little better mileage than the n/a V8. Put the 6.2L in the lighter 2017 and it'd be pretty comparable IMO. The n/a 6.2L will always be more reliable than any turbo engine as well.

You don't just "add 2 pistons" to a V6 to make a V8 either. It'd be nice if it was that easy, but that's not how it works. Firing order? Harmonics?

As for the Germans- I sure as hell hope Ford is NOT close to them in any way. Their engines are overly complicated and very difficult/expensive to repair. Timing chains in the rear of the engine? Check. Ugg.

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
I don't disagree that the V6 has better numbers. What I will say is that the reliability is ****** at best. This ecoboost is a disaster... look at all the issues it carries over from previous ecoboosts... engine misfires, cam phasers failing, blown engines.... and now even more as most everyone has the cracked/leaking oil pans now.

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the 5.0 has had DI bosses cast into the heads since it's inception. it will have DI in 18.

IMO DI isn't much of an advantage (at least not in this application), if it were the eco wouldn't have had to go BACK to port injection in order to make more power - the gen 1 eco was limited to around 550-600hp without supplemental injection.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the 5.0 has had DI bosses cast into the heads since it's inception. it will have DI in 18.

IMO DI isn't much of an advantage (at least not in this application), if it were the eco wouldn't have had to go BACK to port injection in order to make more power - the gen 1 eco was limited to around 550-600hp without supplemental injection.

Quote from a powertrain engineer on another forum referring to the engines for the 2018 Mustang:

"I know for a fact that the new Ecoboost motor and new V8 have been EPA certified, so it's curious they are playing the waiting game on the reveal. I think they might be trying to squeeze some more power out of them last minute to protect for a Camaro update.

It's pretty incredible when you think about it, you'll be able to buy a reasonably affordable pony car with a 5 liter engine making 460-ish horsepower. We've come a long way."

AFAIK, the port injection is there to keep the valves clean- not make any additional power. Although it's a good way to make more power once you've maxxed out what the HPFP can deliver.

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Quote from a powertrain engineer on another forum referring to the engines for the 2018 Mustang:

"I know for a fact that the new Ecoboost motor and new V8 have been EPA certified, so it's curious they are playing the waiting game on the reveal. I think they might be trying to squeeze some more power out of them last minute to protect for a Camaro update.

It's pretty incredible when you think about it, you'll be able to buy a reasonably affordable pony car with a 5 liter engine making 460-ish horsepower. We've come a long way."

AFAIK, the port injection is there to keep the valves clean- not make any additional power. Although it's a good way to make more power once you've maxxed out what the HPFP can deliver.

I can't speak to the advertised claim as why they added port injection but I know for a fact that the ceiling was ~600 at the crank. Magically that ceiling has been raised, probably due to the clean valves ;)

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Raptor is a baja truck the Ram Power wagon is a puller hauler indestructible beast.

They do too different things, honestly I do love my Gen 1 Raptor and was all happy to try and get a Gen 2 but after seeing the v6, I am like no thanks.

I had a Nissan Frontier supercharged v6 and it was a light weight neat truck. It was a good truck and I liked it. The Raptor is too, but to each their own.

Also the Cummins inline 6 makes like 900 foot pounds of torque so the question then becomes not if it could pull a Raptor around but how many could it pull around.

Jred2255

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Raptor is a baja truck the Ram Power wagon is a puller hauler indestructible beast.

They do too different things, honestly I do love my Gen 1 Raptor and was all happy to try and get a Gen 2 but after seeing the v6, I am like no thanks.

I had a Nissan Frontier supercharged v6 and it was a light weight neat truck. It was a good truck and I liked it. The Raptor is too, but to each their own.

Also the Cummins inline 6 makes like 900 foot pounds of torque so the question then becomes not if it could pull a Raptor around but how many could it pull around.

I'm a Power Wagon buyer as soon as Ram slaps the Cummins diesel in it. I hear the 6.4 works well in that truck, but 430 lb-tq isn't much for 2500. Loved my '16 Cummins though.

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking at trading mine in on a Power Wagon. That 6.4 liter Hemi in a 2500 series truck is nice. Like has been said the eco boot 3.5 liter really after the end of the day, regardless of the v-8 noises pumping through its stereo is a v-6. For most all of you street pounders who do little to no off roading then that will work fine. For me I need something that has the low end torque of the v-8. Ask anyone and they will tell you a v8 is ten times better than a highly boosted v6 or smaller displacement motor when it comes to off roadness.

If Ford ever does a v-8 two turbo then watch out that would be a monster until then no 3.5 liter high boost v6 for me unless its in a Mustang or something.

I don't know where you get your numbers and if your a V8 fan then fine, but you're off base.
The low end torque of a V8? BS - the V6 eco delivers more low end torque than the V8, oh and at a lower RPM, so you get that torque that much faster.
Simply put, I can roast my tires in my V6 easier than my V8, exact same method, just stomping on the throttle. Now I will say the V6 has too much torque too fast for crawl type situations, but it'll just force me to put it into 4WD sooner than I have with my V8.

Street pounders vs. serious offroaders - love the blanket statement...ever put tire chains on your Raptor?
He's another street pounder v6 - clearly GEN 2 800A+ Offroad Build - Page 6 - FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor