SCAB - Rear Passenger Side Door Won't Open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is the second time its happened to me where the rear passenger side door on my 2010 Raptor SCAB has stopped working. Specifically, when I pull the inward facing door release handle, I can hear and see the top latch pop, but nothing happens to the rear latch, and so only the top of the door is released. You'll go to tug on it and the whole door will flex out and down from the top, because the lower latch is still firmly stuck.

The first time it happened I chalked it up to a freak thing. It took me about an hour of exploration carried out at weird contorted angles to figure out what was wrong. This time, the second time, I'm pretty sure I have a persistent problem, but the 'fix' only took a few minutes. Its a pain in the ass no matter how you slice it though.

Here's what I discovered. It may help save you a service call and a serious headache one day. I can only imagine the carnage a dealership would inflict as they tried to figure out what's wrong. Images of doors ripping from hinges throwing streaking trails of foam and fake leather come to mind.

Anywho...

1) move your passenger seat as far up and as folded forward as it will go. You're going to want all the room you can get.
P1020081_zpsbe510056.jpg
(ignore that loop looking thing; that's my ham radio antenna lead)

2) pop off the plastic plate cover just behind the handle. A quick pry with a screwdriver in the slot designed for it and pops it right off.
P1020082_zps57216af4.jpg

3) Now grab your 10mm socket. I used an extension and it made life a little easier.
P1020083_zps2e28466f.jpg

P1020092_zps03a253ee.jpg

4) Now bend out the loose handle as far as it will safely go. Again you need all the room you can get. See those two cables in there? The top releases the top latch, and the bottom released the bottom latch.
P1020085_zps49b81e06.jpg

P1020086_zpsdf215387.jpg

5) Grab a pair of pliers and tug on the bottom cable (assuming that's your problem too; tug the top if the top isn't opening, or both at the same time if both arnt). If you'd already used the handle to free to the top latch (do so), tugging this cable will pop the lower and the door will open. Hooray for more room to work!
P1020087_zps0d6b96cc.jpg

6) Now this is the part that will test your patience. The goal is to reseat that ball into its plastic socket on the inside lip of the handle. It takes some finesse. I ended up using a pair of needlenose in my left hand to pull and push the ball (via the cable) past the handle, and then a second set of smaller needlenose in my right hand to grasp it, and literally pull it toward me blind until it found the slot. Mine didn't give any sort of positive click or anything (probably broken), and it sits in there really loosely.
P1020091_zpsa8a3e1ec.jpg

If you got it right you should now have a functioning handle that pulls both cables. Put everything back together and if you're lucky like me, expect to get good and practiced at this procedure!

I love my Raptor. I really do. But sometimes I hate being reminded that its still just a glorified F150 :whymewhyme:

Last edited:

blockdoc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'll be getting a Screw, but this kind of info is part of the greatness of FRF. Thanks for taking the time to type it up.

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice solve and writeup, J.

Now quit manhandling those door handles with your monster mitts and you should be good to go!!

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
More like the ball end of the cable popped out of its retainer, if that makes sense?

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
next time big j come up to my shop. i got everything you could need when it comes to working on cars. maybe save you some time next time you have an "issue"