Rusting Raptor Rocker panels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
NitroBerserker

NitroBerserker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Raptor rusting rocker panels

So today I finally got my truck back. A different repair than I was expecting. I assumed that Ford had approved replacement of the rocker panels, but they just approved repair of the rusted areas, without specifying R/R rocker panels. Well we all know about that assume (Ass-u-me) so I was surprised when I saw they hadn’t been replaced. I ask the body shop manager about it and he told me they had not received any specific instructions other than repair the rusted areas. When I asked how they did that, I was told they cut out the bad parts and formed and replaced the metal. He stated that this would be much less invasive than cutting out the whole rocker panel. Although I can’t tell where it was cut and pieced I guess good body work should be invisible. Hopefully they did do that instead of covering it up and painting it. I do remain skeptical. Since there is only 8 months left until my truck is 5 years old and then out of the no rust through warranty period. I guess this repair only has to last for 8 months and they are out of responsibility. Then any future repair is on me.
I thought things were going too smoothly with this.
At the first inspection last Friday, I noticed that the paint was flaking off over what looked like a new spot weld. After I pointed this out they took the truck back and went over it again.
It does look like they did a good job and sealed the edges where the three body pieces meet with something that looks like epoxy but I don’t know. Hopefully they did not just seal in the rust. Again I am skeptical, but time will tell.
They also did shoot the underbody and frame with what looks like some kind of undercoating material.
Next I will have to install the running boards, since I had them off before the work began. And I will take some pics of the underside and post them.

I really am glad to get out of that rent-a-car, No NAV, no Sat radio, no Bluetooth. ... and mainly just not a TRUCK.

DERaptor

Reaction score
I have the same issues. I cleaned up the rust the best I can and used POR15 on the underbody.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
NitroBerserker

NitroBerserker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rusting Raptor Rocker Panels update. … 3 months later..
Well while cleaning my truck a couple days ago I found that the rust that was supposed to be repaired is coming back already, it’s only been 3 MONTHS…WTF ?
I first noticed some rust stains and bubbles on the passenger side by the rear door and when wiping them the paint came right off. Then looking underneath I find the rust is coming back. I really hoped it was fixed good, but kind of expected it to last no more than 8 months since that is when my 5 years “no rust through warranty “ expires. And then they ( Ford ) would be done with me. But 3 Months?? You would think they could do a better job than that. We do have bad winters here, Pittsburgh, and they use a bit of salt, but we haven’t even had a snow yet and no salt on the roads. Very unusual for December in this area, so it can’t be blamed on the road salt.
Guess I will be calling out to Crystal again. These battles with the dealer are usually frustrating, and I am not looking forward to it.
Anyway here are a couple pictures to add to your horror, these are the after 3 month pictures.

The first pictures are of the paint bubbles, It doesn't even look like they used primer on the metal before painting it. the next pictures are under the rockers and you can see the rust breaking through.

Do yourself a favor and crawl under your truck. I am sure this is not an isolated case..

Attachments

• Raptor Rust 12-30-14X (1).jpg
    Raptor Rust 12-30-14X (1).jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 202
  • Raptor Rust 12-30-14 (8)X.jpg
    Raptor Rust 12-30-14 (8)X.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 201
  • Raptor Rust 12-30-14 (5)X.jpg
    Raptor Rust 12-30-14 (5)X.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 207
  • Raptor Rust 12-30-14 (14)X.jpg
    Raptor Rust 12-30-14 (14)X.jpg