Rusting Raptor Rocker panels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditto on the fluid film

Yep I did that before. I couldn't figure out what the oily residue was but it was from spraying inside and it slowly bleeding out. One thing I'll have to fix is when I was recovering the wholes I wire brushed the surface to get the gorilla tape to stick well, and that's starting to rust.

wakko0o

Reaction score
Every year fall season I spray fluid film... to prevent this. So far I'm winning this fight ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
fldaqa.jpg

Unfortunately I noticed a hole just like this on mine. Never noticed it before and this thread made me want to go out and take a look. Sure enough there is a nice size hole underneath my passenger rear door in the rocker. Everywhere else looks ok.

Because my truck is a 2012 and the rust has perforated through the metal I should be able to get this fixed under warranty? I will post pics

This sucks, not much I can do at this point to prevent it since it has already penetrated, especially going into winter. I've been working on rust proofing everything underneath on the frame to prevent this very thing from happening, but didnt notice the hole on the rocker. I can flush out the rockers and put new tape over the holes that was mentioned earlier in this thread, but I'm past the prevention stage at this point. Not sure if I should cover the rust hole with gorilla tape to prevent salt from touching it or leave it be? :mad::mad:
What did you do to fix the hole in your rocker? I got the same thing I just discovered this weekend.

f47db250467172982a80101e1674655c.jpg

Trying to see what my options are and what the ball park price is.

@Yukon Joe :baby: :baby: :baby:
Drive your raptor here!!!!
www.runraptorrun.com
( * Y * )

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did you do to fix the hole in your rocker? I got the same thing I just discovered this weekend.

f47db250467172982a80101e1674655c.jpg

Trying to see what my options are and what the ball park price is.

Great Lakes Raptor Excursions (GLRE) | Run Raptor Run
( * Y * )

I ended up taking it to the local Ford dealer and showing them the rust hole. I had a helpful service advisor who took some photos of it and sent them off to Ford Corporate. About a week later she called me back saying Ford approved the repair and would cover it ( to my surprise).

I then scheduled an appointment with the Ford body shop in the area through the dealership and they repaired the rocker. It was pretty involved from what the shop manager told me, they have to cut the rocker panel completely off about mid way up the pillars and weld in a new one. The fenders, doors, and bed have to come off the truck completely. And check for any rot behind the rocker that could need repaired. They then repainted the new rocker. All in all it was about a month process from bringing my truck to the dealer to see what we could do to getting my truck back after the repair. Ford also paid for my rental car for that time when my truck was down which came out to about $500.

I was very pleased with the result and the shop that did the work. I was also really happy with Ford that they stepped up and covered it.

Before I left the body shop when I picked up my truck I asked the shop manager... if I had to pay for this out of pocket, what would I have spent to have this repaired had Ford not covered it? He said about $5-6k.

My truck only had the problem on the passenger side but I've been watching the driver side rocker and that one may need it too. My truck is a 2012 so I'm hoping to get that one taken care of before the rust repair 5yr warranty ends.

Last edited:

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I ended up taking it to the local Ford dealer and showing them the rust hole. I had a helpful service advisor who took some photos of it and sent them off to Ford Corporate. About a week later she called me back saying Ford approved the repair and would cover it ( to my surprise).

I then scheduled an appointment with the Ford body shop in the area through the dealership and they repaired the rocker. It was pretty involved from what the shop manager told me, they have to cut the rocker panel completely off about mid way up the pillars and weld in a new one. The fenders, doors, and bed have to come off the truck completely. And check for any rot behind the rocker that could need repaired. They then repainted the new rocker. All in all it was about a month process from bringing my truck to the dealer to see what we could do to getting my truck back after the repair. Ford also paid for my rental car for that time when my truck was down which came out to about $500.

I was very pleased with the result and the shop that did the work. I was also really happy with Ford that they stepped up and covered it.

Before I left the body shop when I picked up my truck I asked the shop manager... if I had to pay for this out of pocket, what would I have spent to have this repaired had Ford not covered it? He said about $5-6k.

My truck only had the problem on the passenger side but I've been watching the driver side rocker and that one may need it too. My truck is a 2012 so I'm hoping to get that one taken care of before the rust repair 5yr warranty ends.

what dealer is this? I want to try to get mine repaired

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply @405. The longevity of the repair and ballpark price are helpful.

I just spoke to the dealer, they said most likely ford will not cover it. I'm at 5 years 3 months. I've done a lot to try to protect the body of this truck, and thus far I'm in worse shape than with my last truck.

I'm gonna place this here for future reference. Thanks @t_j

https://raybuck.com/product/2009-2014-ford-f-150-pickup-super-cab-rocker-panel-driver-side/

https://raybuck.com/product/2009-2014-ford-f-150-pickup-super-cab-rocker-panel-passenger-side/
www.runraptorrun.com
( * Y * )

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply @405. The longevity of the repair and ballpark price are helpful.

I just spoke to the dealer, they said most likely ford will not cover it. I'm at 5 years 3 months. I've done a lot to try to protect the body of this truck, and thus far I'm in worse shape than with my last truck.

I'm gonna place this here for future reference. Thanks @t_j

https://raybuck.com/product/2009-2014-ford-f-150-pickup-super-cab-rocker-panel-driver-side/

https://raybuck.com/product/2009-2014-ford-f-150-pickup-super-cab-rocker-panel-passenger-side/
Great Lakes Raptor Excursions (GLRE) | Run Raptor Run
( * Y * )

Sorry to hear. I've only owned the truck since last July but have rust proofed the entire bottom with rust reformer before winter and done fluid film. I also flushed out my rockers this spring. I'm trying to preserve and fight the rust as long as I can to keep it at bay. The rust reformer and fluid film are now going to be annual maintenance for me.

Does anyone know...does the 5 year rust warranty start from the trucks build date? Or original sale date?

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry to hear. I've only owned the truck since last July but have rust proofed the entire bottom with rust reformer before winter and done fluid film. I also flushed out my rockers this spring. I'm trying to preserve and fight the rust as long as I can to keep it at bay. The rust reformer and fluid film are now going to be annual maintenance for me.

Does anyone know...does the 5 year rust warranty start from the trucks build date? Or original sale date?

It starts from the in service date which is somewhere between the build date and original sale date. Ford service can tell you over the phone, I think owner.ford.com tells you as well.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It starts from the in service date which is somewhere between the build date and original sale date. Ford service can tell you over the phone, I think owner.ford.com tells you as well.

haha.. i just looked and I have 8 days remaining. i guess i better get moving.