Rust where bed contacts rear frame???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

155mm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck was at the dealer for two days and then they said they couldn't do anything about it. Said the Service Manager looked at it, contacted Ford, and they were told it was normal. Said to "just keep an eye on it and see if it becomes an issue."

2014 with 10,300 miles.

On a side note, why the hell does it seem that when you get your vehicle back, the seat adjustment is all out of wack and the radio is on a different station. WTF do these guys always do, take cars out for joy rides?

Bussy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck was at the dealer for two days and then they said they couldn't do anything about it. Said the Service Manager looked at it, contacted Ford, and they were told it was normal. Said to "just keep an eye on it and see if it becomes an issue."

2014 with 10,300 miles.

On a side note, why the hell does it seem that when you get your vehicle back, the seat adjustment is all out of wack and the radio is on a different station. WTF do these guys always do, take cars out for joy rides?

Let's see if Crystal @FordService can help. My was touching & rusting before 100 miles. It was approved just like many others within this thread.

hagak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my truck with less than 950 miles on it is showing this same rust. Brought to the service manager and he is trying to say there is nothing they can do. He first tried to tell me they can't move the frame. I had to get under the truck and show him it is the hitch plate not the frame that is making contact. Now he is taking photos to get ford approval. Is there anything I should do to make sure I get the approval to have rust repaired on a brand new truck.

Maybe I need to mention Crystal @FordService.

Update: service manager contacted ford and found out he did not need pre-approval so seemed much more engaged to help out. Told me to bring it in on Monday cause he was unsure if the work can be done in a single day and did not want to hold the truck over a weekend.

Last edited:

hagak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update after appointment this morning. Dealer took care of the issue. When he first saw it he did not think there was any room to adjust the hitch plate down, he said he was apparently upside down when looking and realized he had a world of room to adjust it. He dropped it down and now have a 1/4" of clearance between the plate and bed. The only bit of rust which I admit was mild at this point was on the hitch plate, and he cleaned it off and put some fresh paint on it.

dfelicia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer took a look at mine this morning and said, "Oh, **** no! That can't be making contact like that. Let me go get the body shop guy." A few pictures and some back office conversation with Ford, and I'm scheduled for a fix on the 14th. I never would have noticed this issue if not for this forum. Thanks!

dfelicia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer took a look at mine this morning and said, "Oh, **** no! That can't be making contact like that. Let me go get the body shop guy." A few pictures and some back office conversation with Ford, and I'm scheduled for a fix on the 14th. I never would have noticed this issue if not for this forum. Thanks!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429138678.245458.jpg

All fixed. [emoji41]

R1jamn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The trailer hitch on my Raptor was fabricated on a Monday or a Friday and my bumper always looked out of alignment.
It was also touching the bed of the truck and had the rust spots.
Recently I picked a trailer hitch from a forum member and it was fabricated perfectly.
I performed the trailer hitch swap myself and had a chance to see the rust first hand.

This is an easy fix.

I removed the bumper and the trailer hitch.
Then I used 200 grit and 600 grit sand paper to completely remove the rust (from the trailer hitch that I just picked up because his was touching also) and from the bed of the truck.
Next was Rust-Oleum Black Primer, Black Enamel and White Enamel spray paint (let it dry for a day or two).
Make sure you mask off the area around the bed of the truck to avoid overspray.

It turned out perfect.

20150905_153402_zpstwobvwup.jpg

20150905_153458_zpsneyxbjpu.jpg

20150905_153432_zpsx1kcygaj.jpg

20150905_161833_zpsv6cgtbtb.jpg

20150905_153326_zpslmocaq5y.jpg

20150905_170528_zpswtgginfd.jpg

20150905_161718_zpsayuqh1yx.jpg

20150905_161319_zpsnxgocbja.jpg