Rust where bed contacts rear frame???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 1/16" gap on the drivers side and a tiny bit of rust. The gap is less on the passenger side, maybe 1/32". More rust on the side. The bed must move a bit and contact as there is no rust anywhere else on the edge/seam on the sheet metal of the bed.

I have been struggling to find a squeak and I am thinking this might be it. Fingers crossed.

OP
OP
Jetskimobile1

Jetskimobile1

Reaction score
I first noticed this problem on mine when I was washing it last Sunday. Not impressed with QA/QC so far on this truck, my first from Ford.

same here. first ford since I was in high school with a 70 mustang. Not very impressed so far with some of the small things. it is a great truck but for the price I expected the QA to be a little better.

Steve737

Reaction score
Just checked mine. Totally smashed up against the bed. No rust yet. Thanks for the info I'll fix this weekend. 2014 4 weeks old.

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I adjusted the bumper today. Quick tip, loosen only one side at a time and it's easy to move the bumper down 1/8".

Did a test drive and I still have the squeak. Ugh

Steve737

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip that was way easy! No rust but was rubbing!! Paint is gone. I just sanded it and painted with touch up.

OP
OP
Jetskimobile1

Jetskimobile1

Reaction score
All fixed now. Dealer removed bumper, sanded and repaired rusted area, painted and reinstalled bumper. This time it has about 3/8 gap so it wont rub anymore

TheWolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my dealer look at this 6 weeks ago, told him that Ford was covering it under warranty, and that I wanted it fixed next time my truck was in for service. I just got off the phone and he said this problem is "normal since the other two Raptors on the lot have rust at this location." I told him it is not normal and that Ford was fixing it. He said he will have to get approval before fixing it. What makes me mad is he should have gotten approval when I first showed it to him, the Service Manager. Now I will either have to take it back in once he gets "approval", or fix it myself and find a better service department.

TheWolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after having the dealer's Service Manager tell me that it is "normal" for a Raptor to rust like this, they went ahead and made it worse by using a wire brush to expose more metal to rusting.

Attachments

• 20140616_184550.jpg
    20140616_184550.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 20140616_184603.jpg
    20140616_184603.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 81

Jobsitefish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after having the dealer's Service Manager tell me that it is "normal" for a Raptor to rust like this, they went ahead and made it worse by using a wire brush to expose more metal to rusting.

That's an example of an incompetent dealership. I would try a different place.

I also have rust just like OP. Funny thing is that I noticed this just a week ago, it is one of those I wanted to forget about (I usually worry too much about the truck). I tried to clean it up and sprayed Amsoil metal protector, This thread now makes me think I should take it to the dealership.

The crazy thing is that I have been cleaning the undercarriage religiously and sprayed with AmsOIL MPHD every 4-6 months to protect from the beach sand. This really blows.