Rust where bed contacts rear frame???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jetskimobile1

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed rust starting where the bed contacts the rear of the frame and bumper/hitch mount? I noticed mine starting the other day. it is visible looking between the bumper and tailgate. I went to the dealership and a new one on the lot also had rust appearing but another I looked at did not. it appears the bumper mount is adjusted to high and has been rubbing on the bed. Anyone else noticed this? Mine is a 2013 with 2450 miles so not abused yet.

Attachments

• Left side.jpg
    Left side.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 228
  • Right Side .jpg
    Right Side .jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 199

Tom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks, Man.....The state of VA did that to your truck with all the crap they put down on the roads...

R1jamn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '14 was the exact same way.
The Dearborn plant assembled the trailer hitch so high up that it was actually contacting and rubbing on the truck bed and causing the rust.
I suspect that there are many Raptors that have this contact when there should be a small gap.

Do-It-Yourself fix:
Loosen the 6 trailer hitch bolts to drop it down (the bumper will also drop as it is connected to the trailer hitch).
Don't worry it will only drop about 1/2".
Then clean up all of the rust. Buy some white krylon or similar and paint it.
After it has dried, lift the trailer hitch up on one side (gap should be approx 1/8" from bed) and snug up one bolt.
Go to the other side of the Hitch and lift it up so the gap is approx 1/8" away from the truck bed and snug up one bolt.
Get out from under the truck and stand back and check to see if the bumper is level.
Adjust as needed to bring the bumper level and tighten all six bolts down to 129 lb-ft.
NOTE: When you bring the bumper to level and tighten everthing up, do not expect the gaps to be equal on the left and right hand side.
Some of these trailer hitches have been welded together on a Monday or a Friday (If you know what I mean).
You may have a gap of 5/16" on one side and 1/8" on the other side. But your bumper will be level.

My trailer hitch was welded together so bad that I am now in contact with a Ford customer care representative.
My trailer hitch needs to be replaced with one that was welded correctly.

OR.........
Drive down to your local dealership and show them what the Ford Dearborn factory had done and that you would like to have it fixed.

I encourage folks to let Ford know of this problem.

With my bumper level this is the gap on the left and right side on my Raptor now.
IMG_2858_zpse4389291.jpg

IMG_2860_zps880db4fb.jpg

These are the trailer hitch fasteners. 3 on the left and 3 on the right.
Tightento129lb-ft_zpsbe1c71d2.jpg

Last edited:

155mm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I have this same rust on my 2014.

Ford was also kind enough to give me a free undercarriage salt spray. How else would a truck two weeks from being built with only 11.2 miles on it be so rusty underneath??? :rage:

Edit: I have a 13 year-old Chevy Impala that looks less rusty underneath than this thing... lol

Kapolani

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just took a look and don't have a gap where there should be one.

I see a small bit/speck of rust. I had my bed sprayed with Line-X and that area was treated as well.

Will drop the hitch down this weekend and take a look.