Roof racks and Roof top tents?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
I have to drive long distances to get to decent camping so I wanted to keep mine low. I Used Yakima mounts and cross bars to mount it over the bed and it takes seconds to install/remove.

The only issue is accessing the bed with the tent on. I have yet to take it camping but I added a bed slider so that issue is solved. Next time should be a lot easier. It is also a great way to strap a lot of stuff down in the bed. I took mine through Baja and it worked like a charm. One day I'll get a trailer but this gets the job done and it is nice being self contained.

Attachments

• IMG_2445.jpg
    IMG_2445.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_2447.jpg
    IMG_2447.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_2448.jpg
    IMG_2448.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_2446.jpg
    IMG_2446.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_2449.JPG
    IMG_2449.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 341

Jeddi

Reaction score
The Smittybilt tent is pretty awesome. I'm actually a authorize dealer and this month only I negotiated a special price, so I can pass down that to you guys. Not sure if it's alright to post without being a vendor, so you may want to PM me.

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to drive long distances to get to decent camping so I wanted to keep mine low. I Used Yakima mounts and cross bars to mount it over the bed and it takes seconds to install/remove.

The only issue is accessing the bed with the tent on. I have yet to take it camping but I added a bed slider so that issue is solved. Next time should be a lot easier. It is also a great way to strap a lot of stuff down in the bed. I took mine through Baja and it worked like a charm. One day I'll get a trailer but this gets the job done and it is nice being self contained.

I also wanted something that allowed the RTT to sit below the level of the cab, but I realized that most of the time the rack will be transporting other stuff (surfboard, lumber, etc) besides the RTT so it works out better in the end.

Additionally I ran into the issues you had, were once the RTT is on, the bed isnt really usable. Raising up the RTT and putting a half bed drawer system in helped a ton.

The258

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been thinking about doing something like this, with another truck though. Came across this camper with a built in tent. Pretty sweet set up.

Attachments

• page3_img7.jpg
    page3_img7.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 202
  • page3_img12.jpg
    page3_img12.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 579
  • page3_img6.jpg
    page3_img6.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 230

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been thinking about doing something like this, with another truck though. Came across this camper with a built in tent. Pretty sweet set up.

Here is a bit more information on them. I would like to get one eventually, but they are only fitted for the Tacoma at this time.

sdtuono

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So been watching this for awhile and pulled trigger on a Tepui will be here Friday. Looking for a bed rack that raises up to half of cab height so I can use bed. Also been told no flying around with these things. The tent is 200 lbs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk