Recovery straps and winch straps are not the same!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johndjmix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would hope most of us realize this, but I'm amazed at how many off-roaders dont!

A recovery strap is like a rubber band, it allows a smaller vehicle (or a vehicle with limited traction) to rescue a bigger vehicle by getting a running start and using the elastic action to pull a vehicle out. I've had a F350 pull my 30,000 lb RV out from axle deep mud using one!

They make different straps for different weight ratings. Make sure you have one rated for your raptors weight! This is a common reason people snap them all the time, they get the little one.

Rigging slings or winch straps (also sometimes called tow straps) do not stretch, and should be thought of more as a replacement for a chain. They of course will stretch a tiny tiny bit, but should NEVER be used in the manner a recovery strap is.

Be sure you know which is which in your truck because (someone tell me if they know how) it's basically impossible to tell them apart once out of their package.

In sure most of you know this, but for those that don't I figured I'd explain! Using the wrong one could result in broken parts or injury!!!

--john

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me the diff between a kinetic recovery rope and a tubular webbing static line/strap is pretty obvious.

I don't see how anyone could describe them as impossible to tell apart once opened, instead I think people generally use the strap because they don't have a kinetic rope which is somewhat cost prohibitive.

But point well taken and I agree, know what shit you brung.

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not use d rings during a kinetic snatch? Which soft shackles do you recommend?

D

Deleted member 12951

Why not use d rings during a kinetic snatch? Which soft shackles do you recommend?

You can. Just the soft shackles are really easy to use and quick and rated pretty high. You can see them in the link I posted to that group by that Roger had. Bubba rope also has them too.

OP
OP
J

johndjmix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steel Shackles during a recovery....

I've always worried that if what they are attached to broke or if the shackle somehow came undone that sucker would move at bullet like speed and if it hit someone it would defiantly cause injury or death.

Soft shackles, that's something new to me. Going to check them out! Glad I started this thread!

And if one of you can explain how you tell recovery strap vs tow apart without connecting one to the truck and a tree, please enlighten me!

--john

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not having a winch, I carry a recovery rope, tow strap plus various short straps and chains, also a 3 ton come-along and hi-lift jack: shovel, sledge hammer, axe and Pulaski.
In the Oregon woods, I don't get stuck!

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steel Shackles during a recovery....

And if one of you can explain how you tell recovery strap vs tow apart without connecting one to the truck and a tree, please enlighten me!

--john
My apologies for being so smartassy, I now realize you're referring to the tow strap and The static (not kinetic) recovery strap, they're identical in form an function for the most part.

The kinetic recovery rope is much different looking being 2" thick vs mm thick straps. Looks like a giant bungee cord, so easily distinguishable.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12951

Southeast Overland states that the soft shackle should not be used for dynamic recoveries.

Soft Shackles, Tube Savers & Load Equalizing Bridles : 1/2" Southeast Overland Soft Shackle | Southeast Overland

Interesting to know. I wonder if Southeast are different. From what I understand, any rope loses its strength over time and if exposed to the elements. Using a soft shackle during snatch recoveries over time will weaken it and perhaps that is where they are going with that statement. I would rather have a soft shackle break than a steel one though.

Bubba rope sells soft shackles called Gator-Jaw and one rated up to 76,000lbs. They only sell kinetic ropes and recommend using the Gator-Jaw for recoveries including snatch ones. Perhaps why they cost more, who knows.