The reasons why I can't justify buying a Gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Even without a Raptor atm, I'm having a hard time justifying a Gen 2(at current prices) over another Gen 1.

Yes, faster, nicer interior and beefier suspension, but there's just something about the Gen 1 that I like. Also doesn't help that the cost difference is easily 20-25k apart comparing a 14 SE Scab vs a loaded 17 Scab.

OP
OP
FordraptorHero

FordraptorHero

Reaction score
Agreed that the Gen2 is an overpriced upgrade for the actual difference. If I really wanted the aluminum body and newer tech, I think I'd get a lightly used Lariat Sport with a 5.0 and mod the crap out of it starting with a Roush SC.

I was looking at the suspension mounts between a lariat f150 2017 and a 2017 svt raptor, they look almost identical in the rear. Im not too sure about the front though.

TwoBlackJeeps

Reaction score
I get one, or two complements on my Gen. 1, every time I drive it. It always seems to be, "that truck really stands out." THE GEN 2'S Do not seem to be that different, unless someone knows the differences in the models.

RAPTORSV

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I get one, or two complements on my Gen. 1, every time I drive it. It always seems to be, "that truck really stands out." THE GEN 2'S Do not seem to be that different, unless someone knows the differences in the models.

Exactly, the Gen II's look so much like an ordinary F150 at first glance, hard to tell the difference, the average person won't notice. No mistaking the look of the Gen I.

Raven13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I really like the gen2's ( except the exhaust note) and after seeing them run at RaptorX I have to say stock vs stock they perform better. But the price difference is just too much for me to pull the trigger. Hell, just the markup over sticker would buy a lot of suspension upgrades. I still turn back to look at my gen1 when I walk away and don't see myself falling out of love with her any time soon.

Last edited:

adeerchaser

ALWAYS carry, never tell
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on guys, look you get MANY vehicles if you buy a Jen2. While she is in the shop for months on end with the transmission all over the floor, they swap you out in loaner junk. Like ya'll, not for me. I did drive it, yep faster, but I don't remember ever racing my Raptor head to head. Every time I take my Raptor out I get compliments on it, they are still the best looking most badass stock truck made! Besides if I am going out to race today, that is for the other ride- Corvette Stingray.

RaptorEnthusiast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Come on guys, look you get MANY vehicles if you buy a Jen2. While she is in the shop for months on end with the transmission all over the floor, they swap you out in loaner junk. Like ya'll, not for me. I did drive it, yep faster, but I don't remember ever racing my Raptor head to head. Every time I take my Raptor out I get compliments on it, they are still the best looking most badass stock truck made! Besides if I am going out to race today, that is for the other ride- Corvette Stingray.

Totally agree with you on the looks and iconic stature of the Gen 1s. They are just too distinctive that even non-truck/car enthusiasts do a double take and wonder "what kind of a truck is that? something about it looks different from the other trucks I see on the road."

Also, this is subtle, but the black housing trimmed tail lights of the gen 1s really give it that "SVT" sporty look if that makes sense. I get that the regular FX4s of that body style had black housing tail lights as well, but you take those tail lights coupled with the Smooth gradual transition flares of the front and rear side panels, it really just takes the cake...head on or from the rear perspective.

Now, the RAM TRX...admittedly gives the gen 1 a run for its money.

David