The reasons why I can't justify buying a Gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordraptorHero

Reaction score
Disclaimer: This thread is not intended to start a flame war or debate on between which truck is better, these are just my personal choices on why I've opted to keep my Gen 1 over the Gen 2

in November of 2016 I bought my 2011 silver screw for 34,000 dollars which had 60,000 miles on the odometer.

Today I went to ford to have my transmission recall fixed, and while I was waiting a car sales men took me and showed me 2 brand new 2017 raptors.

After a good walk around and climbing under the truck to check it out, there was no doubt it was one sexy ass truck. However with the two trucks side by side I still appreciate the OG bad ass look of the Gen 1 a quite bit more. The interior was clearly better than my gen 1 and the electronics were also more advanced in the truck. The fox 3.0's looked much bulkier than my 2.5's but the rest of the front suspension looked almost exactly the same. The rear suspension was almost the same (excluding that the driver side mounting was different and 3.0s).

unfortunately for me it went down hill once he started up the truck.
I thought others were exaggerating when it sounded like a glorified lawn mower, but it honestly does sound that way, but I still liked the truck. After checking it out we went back and talked numbers, They wanted 4k over msrp and out the door it would have costed nearly 80,000 dollars with sales tax and everything.

So for my old 2011 raptor and about 45,000 dollars I could hop into a truck with 3.0's a truck that does 0-60 in a full second quicker than my old one, a better interior, a stronger frame, a lighter truck, and more electronic gadgets than I would ever use and lawn mower revving sounds.

At the end of the day I couldn't justify the minor upgrade for such a large amount of money. I'm honestly not sure why any Gen 1 owner would quite frankly, unless of course they have too much money to care and just want the newest and best thing.

for 15,000 dollars I could modify my Gen 1 that would completely blow a gen 2 out of the water and save 30,000 dollars. (Bump stops, 3.0's, blower) = 15k

TDLR: I prefer the gen 1 looks and powertrain over the Gen 2, Gen 2 has better performance,interior,more electronics, but sounds like a lawn mower, I cant justify spending 45k for such a minor step up over my Gen 1 as a poor young lad. A modded gen 1 for 15k will eat a Gen 2 alive.

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the majority of G1 Raptor owners think like you do.. very rational asking "what do I get for my money."

The exception being guys who are cool w/having car payments and love cutting edge technology.

It's just not compelling enough of a package to upgrade, esp if you are sitting in a paid off G1.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's where I'm at. Paid off (Roush) blown Gen 1.

Gen 2 wasn't even a thought.

Not bashing the Gen 2, but the price is just insane, and I'm perfectly happy with what I have. My only jealousy about the Gen 2 is the aluminum (read lighter) body.

My Roush sounds badass too.

HORN HIGH ACES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed that the Gen2 is an overpriced upgrade for the actual difference. If I really wanted the aluminum body and newer tech, I think I'd get a lightly used Lariat Sport with a 5.0 and mod the crap out of it starting with a Roush SC.

RaptorEnthusiast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my 2013 SCREW last September and just paid it off last month. I definitely plan on keeping my gen 1 for a long time. It's my daily driver and I just don't think the truck will ever get old on me. It's a classic and iconic.

I've said before that Ford absolutely nailed it with the Gen 1. There is personally not one thing I would change about it aesthetically. It's totally distinctive on the road.

Also, on the sound, it has to fit a truck of this trim and caliber. It might not be the fastest on pavement (I don't care about 1/4 mile times), but it's got plenty of power and sounds appropriate and consistent with its looks.

Lastly, today I was walking with a co-worker in the parking garage after work (he did not know that I drove a Raptor). As we were approaching my truck, I remote started it as I always do. He abruptly stopped anticipating the truck to reverse. I told him no one was in the truck, not to worry. So then confused, he slowly walked behind past the truck and saw me open the driver side door. He says "is that your truck? Nice truck man! I like it!"

Love the Raptor

David

RAPTORSV

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree that the Gen II does not have the presence of the Gen I. While the Gen II may be the better truck, it's just not special when compared to the Gen I, and that counts for a lot. IMO.

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's almost as if Ford knew the majority of G1 owners couldn't be swayed, because the truck had (has to some) no competition.

So as a strategy for G2 they targeted the buyer that couldn't be swayed by G1, and will release a super nutzo V8 to get us all to pony up for JenTre in 2020.

FoPer = Sick sons o' *******. And they know we like to rumble like hells angels, not landscapers.

Last edited: