rear end collision

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diesel52

Reaction score
Just bought my new raptor and after having it for a few weeks I got rear ended. Damage seems minor. Almost as I didn't even get hit. The impact wasn't bad but I wanted to know how sturdy the tow hitch is. I went underneath the truck and noticed the spare tire is almost touching the tow hitch. Does anyone have pictures of how close the spare is to the tow hitch? Now im worried the frame or hitch may have been bent. Thanks

6gun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hitch is hell for stout. From the factory, the spare almost touches the hitch, like 1/2" or less. In order to bend the hitch, there would likely have been significant other damage to bumper, tailgate, etc. Any deformation would put the hitch into the tire, and you would likely see paint cracks or other evidence of damage. Hows your cab to bed alignment? That is where I would actually look before the hitch after taking a shot in the bum. Pics? I'll try to snap one of the hitch and post, unless some1 beats me to it.

And, pray tell, how the hell does someone NOT see your big assed truck looming larger and larger in the windscreen? Mussa been texting at the time...

Last edited:

Blind1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome aboard FNG! Sorry to hear about the wreck. Like 6gun states the spare almost touches the hitch. How about posting some Pics of your Raptor.

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry your truck was attacked....my first question is did the tire move or did the hitch and mount move? Obviously have the truck looked at by a qualified body shop.

So, the hitch absorbed most of the impact and not the bumper? I would be concerned with any collision, specially one that is potentially move things not meant to move!

Do you have any pics of your damage?

Again, sorry about your truck...

IRONMAN

Reaction score
Here are some pics for you. It's about roughly 3/8 to 1/2 away.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20130911_095549.jpg
    20130911_095549.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 407
  • 20130911_095638.jpg
    20130911_095638.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 428

6gun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ironman is da man. Mine is zackly like his, right down to the chain links, which dangle under there like a couple of balltoids, but less offensive than the anatomically correct accessory that one sees occasionally...but all that aside...mine measures same. I would, however agree that a reputable shop take a look, just to be safe. Also, Ironman, you might want to coat your hitch with some corrosion inhibitor such as:

Blaster Corrosion Stop Protectant - PB Blaster

About time for me to do it again, too. In the fall, i crawl under the truck with about 5 cans of this stuff and literally coat everything that doesn't get hot, including bolts, nuts, frame rails, etc.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Look at your frame rails above the axles and see if anything looks odd or crumpled. This is the point it would fail and crush in a rear end accident. Inspect the frame and check for proper separation at the cab and bed and see if it looks to have changed.. The receiver hitch on these trucks has a flaw in the design and any sideways pressure they fold over weld a piece of steel to the hitch and fully box it in...

New Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a solution!

Hey guys,

Not meaning to be a product fan-boy of any sort but... I have got to say my worst fear was someone hitting Wally and then getting some hack-job repair done.

So I did some research and I found out about the Sparebumper (also available SuperBumper) available here. Perfect against rear-end collisions and to put a permanent :flipthebird: reminder through the radiator/grille of whoever hit you :winner_first_h4h: It helps defeat the energy/impact area of the collision before gently compressing leaving NO DAMAGE.

I completed my setup with a Bolt lock so some Jack@$$ wouldn't walk away with my investment.

Attachments

• Sparebumper.jpg
    Sparebumper.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 89

6gun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Not meaning to be a product fan-boy of any sort but... I have got to say my worst fear was someone hitting Wally and then getting some hack-job repair done.

So I did some research and I found out about the Sparebumper (also available SuperBumper) available here. Perfect against rear-end collisions and to put a permanent :flipthebird: reminder through the radiator/grille of whoever hit you :winner_first_h4h: It helps defeat the energy/impact area of the collision before gently compressing leaving NO DAMAGE.

I completed my setup with a Bolt lock so some Jack@$$ wouldn't walk away with my investment.

I like it....however, this might be just as effective...IJS.

Attachments

• Claymore Hitch Cover.jpg
    Claymore Hitch Cover.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 461