Raptors in the Dakar Rally

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Ran across some pics of a yellow and red race prepped Raptor that was run by a Chilean team in this years Dakar rally. Also looks like they used an additional Raptor as a chase / prerun vehicle.

Camioneta-sabado.jpg

Here is their Facebook page (has quite a few pics in the latter half):
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=info&gid=179438416789

Here is another page (translated by Google):
www.rallyglobal.com/tamarugal-xc-rally-team-va-al-dakar-para-marcar-un-hito-en-el-deporte-motor-chileno

Anyone have any additional info?

OP
OP
KaiserM715

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Here is some more info I dredged up:

Not quite as exciting as the overall discussion, but there is a privateer Chilean team running a 5.4L F150 SVT Raptor in this years Dakar Rally. It was still being fitted with safety equipment over the Christmas holiday (!) No testing, no prep, etc. Stock engine (except for the mandatory restrictor plate), trans, driveline. Fully production suspension including wheels, shocks (including valving), springs, arms, jounce bumpers, etc

As far as we can tell, they have changed tires, removed the front and rear bumper, added safety equipment, sealed windows and added sliders, and added a cabin air scoop on the roof.

DJ BFG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man this truck just keeps getting more exciting the more i read about it. I bought one in Mar. 2010 3 days before i went back to Iraq and can't wait to get back to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Unfortunately the information I and others posted on the other forum isn't accessible to me (and it's probably been deleted). It was a very interesting thread with as much info and as many pics as I/we could find online. Perhaps it's still up over there and if it is maybe someone could copy and paste it here?

As for why they dropped out - most of the vehicles don't finish the race and they weren't any different. They completed a number of stages but had to drop out due to what I assume was a mechanical issue. I don't think they were well funded at all - probably didn't have a chase truck and crew to support them so they did very well all things considered.

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MagicMtn...

Check out the links I provide... lots of pics (inluding their several chase trucks)... it looks like a very well funded organisation that fields vehicles in several classes...

25151_1374376077247_1167155522_31121144_531179_n.jpg

22459_297902909828_759009828_4853593_7681451_n.jpg

22459_296296379828_759009828_4841684_4999343_n.jpg

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
frog, Dan meant that the Raptor team wasn't well funded (these two particular guys). IIRC they were average guys like you and me, who had no real race team or corp support/funding. From what I remember, they bought truck, made some garage mods and went out to race.

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that is what he meant... which is why I posted pictures of all the other trucks in their team... by which I was implying that it was a very large and therefore probably well funded team...

I know there were reports that they were privateers... all that means is there was no FACTORY support... it does not mean they were not part of a large successful and well funded non factory supported team...

They are with team TAMARUGAL.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Roger that. But I think I remember reading that they petitioned several teams to let them run and these guys picked them up offering nothing more than the decals and paint.

Can't remember where I read that though, so I could be making it up. Don't think so though.