Raptor Served a Greater Purpose Yesterday

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mike.s

Reaction score
Looks like those running boards absorbed some of the impact.

OP
OP
M

MeenieMe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a shame, glad you're OK. Interested in seeing the damage to the Ranger though, it must have scratched his paint pretty good.

Wish I had taken a pic, but I forgot my phone at home (figures). The front was absolutely destroyed. It emptied all of its fluids as a last sign.

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 PM ----------

That does suck. Curious who your insurance is? I have concerns with mine if this ever happens. Notice it looks like the damper in the last pic looks broken like mine....

USAA for me. Geico for the driver at fault. I've only had good experiences with USAA. I've lived with geckos when overseas, but never dealt with Geico.

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

....on a cannibalistic side note, would love to poach your HIDS off the truck.

And here I was thinking somebody was going to be placing dibs (Chicago style) on the 6.2L V8 with less than 10k miles. You know...to have a spare as the eco-boosts flood the market (but let's not start that debate).

bmacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And here I was thinking somebody was going to be placing dibs (Chicago style) on the 6.2L V8 with less than 10k miles. You know...to have a spare as the eco-boosts flood the market (but let's not start that debate).

Heck, I'd be interested in the motor, HIDs and wheels. I'm even 15 minutes from Naperville!

Seriously though, glad the Raptor did it's job and you're alright.

sublime1996525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a truck here not too long ago. Hit left front corner. Air bag popped . They took it to the body shop. Totaled said the frame was tweaked. But it is a Chevy though.
b4a8f128918903422667afdd6c97b904.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's true. It is a Chevy, not known for tweaked frames.....:)

OP glad you're okay.

OP
OP
M

MeenieMe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the well wishes. The verdict is in from the initial inspection...it is alive! Clearly, everything is subject to change once it is stripped down and lined up...but the going-in estimate is in the $16k range. Thanks to the winter season, I now play the waiting game until they can slot it into their schedule.

I have made my expectations crystal clear...that this is an off-road racing truck and it must absolutely be as competent and reliable after the work is done as it was before the accident. It helps being able to handpick the body shop, having it come highly recommended by similar control freaks, and having had a chance to talk to the owner. I like to think that everybody I am dealing with is being introduced to just how particular many of us Raptor owners can be. At the point I started talking about the spray bed liner and the grease hand print I saw on the passenger seat that I expect to be professionally cleaned, I think it sunk in.

I have contemplated buying a new one, or otherwise gently used one, and selling this one once repaired. But given my philosophy that the toys are for playing and not for being kept pristine, I will probably be happy with the repaired one (with appropriate diminished value claim)...and see what new toys come out over the coming years.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Good luck! That estimate is going to go up really quick! But that's their issue, not yours!