Raptor Mods - (Based on Driving Habit)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
WyoStorm

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hmmm...Cat 4 Extreme to Crazy or Extreme to Trophy Truck

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

Decide everything you want Line-x'd ahead of time and bundle it together to leverage for a better price. Also, remove anything you can on your own and take it disassembled to Line-x to save money (e.g. bumpers, fender flares, skid plates)

Yeah, I'm still debating what I want to do there. The nearest Line-X dealer is 170 miles away. I'm spraying the underneath and engine compartment with AMSOIL products and doing some sort of clear coat on at least the frontal area. Also considering Opti-Guard for the entire truck but still researching that idea.

OP
OP
WyoStorm

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have no doubt I'll start out a 1 until I learn the truck and then see what mods I'll need to raise the bar towards a 2. That's why I started this thread and I'm surprised we haven't had more input on mod recommendations.

Netix

Banned
Reaction score
im thinking of an idea for my truck. some people will hate but making the raptor a capable rock climber/ off roading. cat 3 or whatever.
probably not any time soon i will throw some 54's on it... full spring lift front and back. new axles, lockers, new tranfer case, gears, roll caged, bed caged and go climb some boulders!!!!!!

Jackemuphigh21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would classify myself in probably a category 2.

First mods for a category 2 I would say should be at least mid perch and some kind of frame reinforcement and bump stop combo and aftermarket leaf springs. The factory rear leaf setup leaves a LOT to be desired. Axle wrap and a bucking rear end are a pretty normal occurrence when you are running the factory shocks and springs but, you can eliminate a ton of this with a new leaf spring pack. The bump stops are going to help your frame from taking a beating and help relieve some that hard up-travel energy dispersion when you land a jump or going through whoops. Mid perch is going to give the front shocks a little more preload and help to keep the front end from diving on braking and from bottoming out the shocks near as easily.

CAI, tune and exhaust are the next mods I would suggest as the stock setup leaves room for more power as a whole. A little more grunt coming out of the corners is always nice and powering through sand is made a bit easier.

Third would be lighting, lots of lighting. Nothing is worse than trying to run at high speeds at night and guessing when the next obstacle is coming up. Get plenty of light out there so you can see whats on its way before it's already there.

Fourth I would say that 3.0 shocks at this point should be next on the list. 3.0's are going to give you s much more more tuning ability for you to dial in your suspension for your driving style and terrain. Not to mention the 3.0's are going to cool better and handle the forces you throw at the suspension much better than the stockers will.

These are my opinion at least as to what mods you should be looking at if you fall into the category 2 of Raptor ownership.

OP
OP
WyoStorm

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
im thinking of an idea for my truck. some people will hate but making the raptor a capable rock climber/ off roading. cat 3 or whatever.
probably not any time soon i will throw some 54's on it... full spring lift front and back. new axles, lockers, new tranfer case, gears, roll caged, bed caged and go climb some boulders!!!!!!

Now that would be wild! I think I'd have to have a second Raptor myself. I want this one to explore some wide open areas around here.

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

Well thought out and I'm going to condense that for Cat 2 on the first post Jackemuphigh21 (and firematt422).

Let's get some discussion going on these Cats! So you don't see any downside to mid perch on the 2012s or 2013s? No extra strains/stresses? I believe SVT didn't recommend it but yet every one (at least us enthusiasts on FRF) is doing it.

Last edited: