Raptor got rearended, need advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It was a beautiful Friday afternoon in Norman Oklahoma. I was returning home after running some errands and taking my Raptor to the car wash. I was driving on main street, speed limit 35, when traffic came to an abrupt stop, I was able to stop under control no problem. If the driver of the vehicle behind me had been paying attention he would have had plenty of time to stop as there was a large gap between us but that was not the case. Luckily he has insurance.

This is where I need some advice as I want to make sure that the Raptor gets fixed properly. The impact was hard enough to bend brackets and break welds for the trailer hitch and rear bumper, shoved the spare forward about 4" and the gap between the bed and cab is no longer uniform, closer at the bottom on both sides. I plan to take it to the local ford dealership to get an estimate on the damage. Any and all advice is welcome so let me hear what you have to say as it has been a very long time since I've had to deal with something like this. When and how do I go about requesting diminished value for my Raptor? Is there a formula that is used to determine the amount?

Here are a couple pics of the incident.

IMG_0230_zpsg3u5dyzi.jpg

IMG_0228_zpsqhy1rghv.jpg

Idleone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My advice would be to check around for ratings and reviews. A lot of times dealer body shops are not known for quality work. You can request diminished value once the repairs are completed. There is no industry standard formula so prepare for a negotiation. Make sure the shop checks out your frame rails. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck

OP
OP
pat247

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My advice would be to check around for ratings and reviews. A lot of times dealer body shops are not known for quality work. You can request diminished value once the repairs are completed. There is no industry standard formula so prepare for a negotiation. Make sure the shop checks out your frame rails. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck

Thanks Idleone, do I need to request that it be put on a frame rack or do they just eyeball it?

OP
OP
pat247

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did get under the very back and that is where I saw the bent pieces and the weld tore loose on one side and cracked on the other. This was on the support pieces for the bumper and leaf springs. The trailer hitch is trashed, tow hooks and electrical plug receptacle trashed. I looked for damage in the wheel well area, wheel tubs and frame rails but didn't see anything obvious. Raining today so can't do much, tomorrow I will pull the Roll-X and BedRug so that I can see the floor of the bed.

Idleone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cool like I said let me know if you need anything else, been in the insurance industry for a long time

Greybeard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope the frame is straight or can be straightened. If so, see if the body shop will order an ADD rear bumper or the like. It may be some out of pocket but get what you want

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was rear ended in my 2014 almost a year ago to the day...and only days after I bought it...don't even think it had 100 miles on it. Anyway, I obsessed over where to take it to get fixed. Ultimately, it was just the bumper, brackets and hitch that needed replacing. Tailgate wasn't damaged at all. Lower quarter panel had a small dent and scratch, but I elected to leave that alone...no way they can get a good match on our metallic black paint.

Where ever you take it, make sure they put your truck on a frame rack...don't let them try to get by on a visual assessment...But changes are they won't with your bed lines being off.

You'll need to check the laws in your state, but be sure open a diminished value claim with the insurance company...it should be a sizable claim if there is frame damage. Be ready to fight for it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk