Raptor Driveshaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok so how can a shaft get destroyed?

The power of a blown 6.2L, a heavy truck and loosey goosey wheel hopping suspension with a driver who is saying fuckit, it's gonna burn the tires or break. It broke.

It's just a driveshaft and 2 u joints. Easy cheap fix. No big deal.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The axle exchange unit from JDM

Care to share a rough price? As someone with a supercharger and stock driveshaft, it's of particular interest to me!

---------- Post added at 08:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 AM ----------

Man I was hoping you'd give a different response lol. It's just a matter of time due to wear and tear driving on pavement it sounds like.

I wonder if a broken shaft after normal wear and tear has happened to a good number of raptor owners in general. It'd be nice if there were any mitigating factors for me to be aware of.

David

Well, let me hopefully lift a little fear here. My experiences referenced above are on my Jeep. So far my Raptor is holding up just fine, supercharger and all. I think your BIGGEST worry should be wheel hop. All that power breaking loose and then grabbing traction again - basically how I sheared my pinion on my jeep, and that's just the old inline 4.0. A broken driveshaft is not common, and I would not classify it as wear and tear. I would venture a guess that most vehicles reach the end of their life still running a stock driveshaft.

Basically, I wouldn't try to do burnouts in the Raptor and odds are very good you'll be just fine.

If you want to worry about something, worry about the front hubs and CV joints....

OP
OP
L

lobird91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new driveshaft was about 700 shipped.

There was defiantly damage to the driveshaft from before I installed the tune and smaller pulley, and the truck still had the OEM tires when I bought it so I don't think burnouts were an issue. I would be sure to keep an eye out and do anything you can to limit wheel hop. I think Deavers and traction bars are in my future.

RaptorEnthusiast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Care to share a rough price? As someone with a supercharger and stock driveshaft, it's of particular interest to me!

---------- Post added at 08:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 AM ----------

Well, let me hopefully lift a little fear here. My experiences referenced above are on my Jeep. So far my Raptor is holding up just fine, supercharger and all. I think your BIGGEST worry should be wheel hop. All that power breaking loose and then grabbing traction again - basically how I sheared my pinion on my jeep, and that's just the old inline 4.0. A broken driveshaft is not common, and I would not classify it as wear and tear. I would venture a guess that most vehicles reach the end of their life still running a stock driveshaft.

Basically, I wouldn't try to do burnouts in the Raptor and odds are very good you'll be just fine.

If you want to worry about something, worry about the front hubs and CV joints....

Thanks Brother

OP
OP
L

lobird91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New driveshaft is in and all is well in the world. The Axle Exchange unit is much beefier than the stocker that's for sure.

OP
OP
L

lobird91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that you have the new driveshaft installed and have been on it for a little while, anything new to report?

Not much, I have been trying to avoid wheel hop because I am worried whatever breaks next will be more expensive than a DS. Gonna build a set of traction bars before too long.