Raptor Driveshaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lobird91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with an aftermarket driveshaft in their Raptor. I kinda destroyed mine last night and am looking for a replacement/upgrade.

Thanks
Alan

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with an aftermarket driveshaft in their Raptor. I kinda destroyed mine last night and am looking for a replacement/upgrade.

Thanks
Alan

I kinda demand the story here...

No experience with Raptor driveshaft, just jeep ones - but for those I've just gone to local driveshaft shop with experience with 4x4s and muscle cars. I've had good results.

OP
OP
L

lobird91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I had a better story, got on it a little showing off to the kid she spun for about half a second, wheel hopped and boom goes the dynamite. Ripped the u joint ears off both ends and left the shaft in the middle of the road.

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 PM ----------

I will get some pics when I ride out to the shop later

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wish I had a better story, got on it a little showing off to the kid she spun for about half a second, wheel hopped and boom goes the dynamite. Ripped the u joint ears off both ends and left the shaft in the middle of the road.

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 PM ----------

I will get some pics when I ride out to the shop later

Wow. I've spun mine first through second without issue - but your wheel hop, yup, that probably did it.

Though, I gotta say, I'd rather blow the drive shaft than tear the rear end apart. Sure ya wanna upgrade???

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Plenty of trucks that have gone with a supercharger and aftermarket tune have replaced shafts. Many broke the stock then replaced at the beginning but now most upgrade from the start. The factory pressed shaft is very thin. The aftermarket aluminum shafts are much stronger. carbon fiber is the best but $$. If you break a CF shaft it just unravels the fibers.

OP
OP
L

lobird91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Carnage the results of 650hp, 37s, and stock rear springs...so actually this has been coming for a while. You can see where the rear u joints had already been egged out and the front U joint already has stress cracks as exhibited by the rust. It just happened to decide to make itself known last night. So word of warning to any stock shaft SC guys keep an eye on your u joints.

20161221_141333_zpsufed0fhf.jpg

20161221_141832_zps6gfdxbmk.jpg

20161221_142317_zpsotxmfzef.jpg

20161221_142325_zpsjvvdt7zq.jpg

20161221_142614_zps3j7vts8e.jpg

20161221_141412_zpsj84ilt8m.jpg

Last edited:

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No personal experience, but a search will yield a few reviews: Raptor

The only additional advice I've seen is to request nickel plating on the interior of the slip yoke to reduce likelihood if the new shaft exhibiting the infamous clunk.

I think SDHQ might have another brand available, but I haven't seen any feedback on it.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not that 'lucky' is an applicable word here, but you're lucky it was a front u-joint while you weren't flying down the road at 100 mph. A rear joint breaking doing what you were doing might have caused a hell of a lot more damage as well.

I would stay away from cf, as they won't hold up very well off road. There are aftermarket driveshafts out there that will be better than stock though.

Good luck!!!