Raptor as a commuter. What should I expect?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cpetes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I DD mine and it is sometimes a pain in the ass (gas mileage, sliding in and out of traffic, fuel ups, etc..) but for what it is and always having to use the bed space and taking clients around the roomy interior and capabilities are enough for me to keep daily driving it. If the funds are right I thought about a beater, but id choose the Raptor every day of the week if I had a choice!

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
I have an Audi for a daily driver but I still prefer to DD my Raptor. Around town I average 11-13MPG.

I just did 320 miles last night for a short trip up the coast and my wife asked why I took the Raptor over the Audi. I wanted a comfortable ride and the difference in gas was just $20 ($38 is what the Audi would have used vs. $58) anyway so why not?

37k and nothing but routine maintenance with brakes being installed this week. Considering what I do with it off-road I'd say it is no worse than any other vehicle.

OP
OP
Dirt Bag

Dirt Bag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why don't you buy a beater 4 banger that gets 30 mpg, that way you could park the truck unless of course getting 15 miles to the gallon entices you as a daily commuter.

My commute is like ***** Road Warrior.
Yesterday I was almost side swiped by a gravel truck which forced me off the road and in to parallel running train tracks.
If I were to get a beater it would be at least a 1 ton with a Cummins turbo diesel.
Mileage ain't what worries me. It's the wear and tear on the beast that was driving me to ask what people have seen.

---------- Post added at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

i thought you were retiring....... well as you know i commuted from watsonville to mountain view 6 days a week. 105 miles round trip daily. all idid was the scheduled maintenence.

No retire. I just quit my job to take on a consulting gig. That went from a home office to being in their building 5 days a week to see why they suck so bad for the next year or so.
I forgot about that commute you had. That was brutal! Good example as your truck was pushed at many levels and seemd to respond really well with just regular maintenance.

Mariner

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I spend 6 months of my year working on an oil tanker and my truck stays parked. The other 6 months I drive wherever the hell I want whenever I want. As far as I know, we didn't buy the truck to save gas money [emoji14]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

warrior

Your Wife's Personal Trainer
Reaction score
Great DD, only drive 5 miles one way, 52k and always a fun ride!

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I DD mine and I've put on 10600 miles since february. The MPG sucks, if you hit traffic it drops quick, but if you are at speed, 65 to 75, the MPG is okay and you know what? who cares? its a joy to drive, people get the **** out of your way.

Time to time I drive my RX8 to try to keep the miles down, but its just more fun. Hell its making the RX8 obsolete.

That being said, I'm about to change commands and go from driving 45 miles to 80 miles round trip, so I may switch it up and get a little beater or a bike.... or move closer.

Agent 00 L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spend 6 months of my year working on an oil tanker and my truck stays parked. The other 6 months I drive wherever the hell I want whenever I want. As far as I know, we didn't buy the truck to save gas money [emoji14]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Thats how I keep mine low mileage too! Getting ready to park it again here soon.

Aussiesvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I daily mine. Some days 100miles a day easily.

Issues.... None
You get used to driving a truck wider than a H1 through traffic and tight city streets.
You learn how to stretch you MPG when you need to.
You can't help but floor it allthe time to listen to her scream.